Author Topic: Antique Embroidery  (Read 1488 times)

sam92475

• View Profile
Antique Embroidery
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:31:13 pm »
Hi all, Thanks in advance for your advice. I have an old embroidery which was passed down through the family. I have no information on this and do not see any markings/identification on this piece. It is 25.5" wide x 30.5" tall. I tried to get the best photos I could of the front and back but they don't do it justice - it is really beautiful. The reflections on the glass wash out some of the colors/contrast. The threads are very fine and colorful and have a sheen to them when you move the picture back and forth. Any ideas on where this may have come from, value, etc.? Thanks! Sam

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Embroidery
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 12:43:02 pm »
 Welcome to the forum !!!  Could be either silk or polished cotton on muslin !!  If it was passed down in your family,, I would assume one of your family members may have done it !! But it has somewhat of an oriental look !! What has your family told you about it ??

sam92475

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:02:46 pm »
Thank you for the kind welcome. This was not made by any recent family members - of that I'm sure. My mom just passed away and I moved all of her stuff out of her house. This was wrapped up and tucked away with no info or other family members to consult. There was a small piece of paper between the back boards that disintegrated when I touched it so I know by that that this is very old. There was no ID on that paper. I think the fabric is still strong based on the way it looks, but I don't want to pull the nails from the back boards and try to find more info - I don't want to mess things up! I know one of my relatives was very wealthy and bought a lot of collectable stuff back in the early 1900's (lived in New Orleans), but she lost all her wealth during the Great Depression and kept a few things - this might be one of them, but I'm guessing here.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 01:44:16 pm »
Oriental items were popular in that period especially around the 20`s and 30`s !! But sadly there is really no way to determine much more than that !! New Orleans being a seaport,,has many items brought back from ocean voyages !! There is some wrinkling of the fabric which is probably from home framing !!  I would suggest taking it to a professional frame shop or an art gallery that does framing and have it tightened/smoothed a bit and put back together with the original nails, backboard ect !!  My opinion is that is from China or Japan and was framed just as an art piece !! This would fit with the depression era because of the lack of money and items like this were very inexpensive !! But even so people still liked their home to look nice !! During the depression they would put calendar pictures in frames or anything that was pretty !! I have seen floral fabrics framed for much the same reason,, to brighten the home during difficult times !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 03:19:46 pm »
Agree.  Small pieces of imported handiwork from the Orient (which it was called during that period) were proudly displayed in many homes and businesses.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:12:20 pm »
The frame and wood backing look like they are from around the late 19th century or very early 20th century. When I look at the saw marks on the wood and the patina and compare it to the back of furniture from that era that I ma very familiar with, I am fairly certain that the piece is that old. The wire nails would place it after 1880. I would guess that this is a silk embroidery and older than the frame. The details are exquisite. I would take it to an expert on Asian textiles and get a professional opinion.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:30:36 pm »
Totally agree with frogpatch! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!