Author Topic: Seed Pod  (Read 1620 times)

Recircle8

• View Profile
Seed Pod
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:29:23 pm »
Hi Guys,

I was lucky to come across this cool forum today and was hoping maybe someone could help identify this. I assume it is a seed pod which has been carved and decorated, but I'm curious about its artist and origins - Cheap souvenir or something nicer?

Cheers,

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:40:50 pm by Recircle8 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Seed Pod
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:38:55 am »
How big is it ??  There is nothing in the pic to judge size !!   Does it seem hollow or does it rattle when you shake it ?? 

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 05:46:04 pm »
I'm with you there , mart (with many questions) !

Looks like a carved & painted gourd , so far .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 06:04:12 pm »
That's sure a possibility Fancypants !!  Is it light weight or heavy !!  There are gourds that are about the size of an orange and are round !! Don`t see a stem end though !!

Recircle8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:37:26 pm »
Its approx 12cm wide by 9cm high, it is fairly light (weighs about 80g) and does make a rattle when you gently shake it. It doesn't have a stem, but does have a spot where a stem was possibly once attached.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 08:37:29 am »
That sounds very much like a gourd !! The gourd seeds have a papery membrane and when the gourd is completely dry have a sort of muffled sound when shaken !! And the inside of the gourd has a pretty soft lining,, you can hear them but it isn`t loud like when hitting against a solid surface !!
The animals on the gourd look South American,, leopard, parrot, sheep, and a few others !!  Yes, these are made mostly for the tourist trade !!  I didn`t see anything of a cultural nature to indicate what South American country it came from !!  Just the animals and flora of the area !!

Recircle8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 10:10:13 pm »
Awesome info - Thank you Mart :)