Author Topic: japanese puzzle box  (Read 1089 times)

sethsloth

• View Profile
japanese puzzle box
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:00:11 am »
i got this japanese puzzle box from my grandmother. it has two panels that slide back then the sides slide down and then a piece can be slid out to reveal a lock. it is missing the lock and hinges. iv seen many similar ones on the internet but none that have these exact designs. if the locks and hinges where replaces how much would the value be. and does anyone know how old it is. i think it is made from mahogany wood. is there anyway to restore some of the damage, like the scratches? thanks

mart

• View Profile
Re: japanese puzzle box
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:17:39 am »
Try just polishing with a bit of lemon oil !! You can mix old English dark oil with the lemon oil to get a shade close to the wood !! Any thing painted just use the lemon oil with just a drop or two of the oil,, darker colors can be mixed to match !!  Just use bottle caps to mix each shade and those tiny areas, a Q-top makes a good applicator !! Then just wipe off and buff !! You can do this several times if needed till scratches do not show !!

sethsloth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:42:15 pm »
okay thanks for the advice!! where would i buy lemon oil? is there a name brand i can search for?
any idea on age or value of this piece. the interior wood is in good condition but what was left of the hinges where really rusted and looked pretty old. I'm guessing midcentury. thanks again

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 02:33:06 pm »
Great advice Mart.

You should be able to find brands like Old English Lemon Oil or Weiman Lemon Oil for Furniture at most stores/hardware stores.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:12:26 pm »
Yes,, even your local grocery store will have Old English !!