Author Topic: Can anyone identify my item please?  (Read 1503 times)

Onegreen

• View Profile
Can anyone identify my item please?
« on: February 27, 2015, 04:10:48 am »
I have a rare piece of solid oak vintage furniture that none of the experts I have approached can adequately identify or give a name for. If anyone would allow me to pick their brains, I would be most grateful. I suggest it as 'rare' as thus far I have been unable to find anything remotely like it on the Internet I was hoping someone could possibly suggest what it is. Likely to be early 1900s convertable bookcase to low tabel. It has three functions, table, bookshelves and display unit. It converts in a second or two from a 5 shelf bookcase/display to a low (18" high) table. It has a black metal 6 position locking mechanism that works perfectly. Overall 25.5" width x 32.25" height x 14.5" depth. The shelves are 22" length x 6.75" width. In excellent condition. Any suggestion would be welcome
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:05:19 am by KC »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Can anyone identify my item please?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 05:28:47 am »
Convertible furniture, including table shelves was popular around the turn of the century until the 1930s. Many lived in small spaces and these items helped. You could set the table and then store the dishes in the same space like a kitchen. It has regained popularity in NYC and other urban locales where living space is at a premium per square foot. A 500 square foot studio in Manhattan could cost 5000.00 per month or more. Here is another example of a table/shelf.
 https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/industrial-work-tables/convertible-shelf-to-table-ohio-circa-1900/id-f_1333354/?utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google&utm_term=bookcases&utm_content=easy-ship&gclid=CjwKEAiAyMCnBRDa0Pyex-qswB0SJADKNMKASy8CZ-FP8QzfduIvmRtC-8dHO3wC_lrPE4wzSBwlpxoCBkbw_wcB

These were both factory made and custom made. Search antique convertible furniture or folding furniture in Google Images and you may find other examples.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:34:15 am by frogpatch »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 11:08:17 am »
None of the posted pictures for Onegreen are showing up.

Now I do see your link Frogpatch.  Hadn't seen a variation like that before.  You are so right about items like this becoming hot items in large cities/urban areas.  Apartment Therapy has helped convertible furniture boom in the decorating realm.  Because older/antique items are harder to find, they mostly show newly produced items!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:26:02 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 11:43:46 am »
I had to post a link to an article that I have always found amusing about convertible furniture produced in the 1800's.  Such an article is about the PIANO/BATHTUB by Bruschke Ricks of Chicago (they would burn up due to the bath water being gas heated).
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat=19840819&id=VqZYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xYwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7040,5255021

There was a patent one time for a piano that became a bedroom, etc.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:00:53 pm »
In regard to Frogpatch's link; at times I would find these units still being used in a small town bakery. The last one I had sold for $350 at my auction a couple of years ago.

Isn't this a cutie? http://www.antiqbuyer.com/images/2012-10-Archive/IMG_8668.JPG

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 01:01:57 pm »
How neat Rauville !!  Salesman`s sample ??