Author Topic: KC something to keep your interest  (Read 4508 times)

wilhenri

• View Profile
KC something to keep your interest
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:57:11 am »
Sorry have been slack on the posting of objects but I have plans the wife has been on holls for a couple of weeks which has curtailed my attendance. Anyway Here is another tiny object/s my smallest Knife 9 ct gold handle shown with a pair of Hallmarked silver pincers/tongs they are shown with a UK 5 peney piece about the size of a Dime I guess.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:02:25 pm by wilhenri »
Live as if you are to die tomorrow and learn as if you are to live forever
Mahatma Gandhi

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: KC something to keep your interest
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:56:18 am »
NICE!

Sugar nips!  Don't have any myself but have been searching for the "right" pair for myself for years!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wilhenri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 03:38:29 am »
No KC not sugar nips these are only 1 inch long and are simply downsized version of a pair of carpenters pliers or as we would say in the UK nips for removing nails from wood..  like these
Mahatma Gandhi

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 11:03:57 am »
Ohhhhh....a nail pull as my grandaddy said.  He was a carpenter and had some mighty wonderful tools that he would let us kids play with the "safer" ones on occasion.

Is your knife monogrammed?  Those without monograms are harder to find. 9kt?  Real Nice!

I can remember all the men carrying small knives when I was little...but those days are slipping by since 911.  (Too many have lost them to airport TSA at security checks!) But those that are full-time country guys still have them.  HOWEVER, they didn't/wouldn't have the gold ones! 

Okay, I have to ask...what is holls?  I tried searching it..and I don't think any of the definitions I got is what you were referring to!  The only thing I could fathom is a variation of Holiday?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wilhenri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:28:19 pm »
You got it a version of Holiday sorry should have explained. The knife is not monogrammed and it is no bigger than my thumb nail less than 1/2 an inch closed.. not much of a threat but yes knife laws are a nightmare here in the UK as well nothing that locks the blade and a cutting section of 3 inches max allowed to be carried in public
Mahatma Gandhi

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:44:39 am »
The neatest little knife I ever seen was in my Uncle’s collection. It was about 3” in length and an exact “copy” of a single-blade Barlow knife (see pic below), except it was made completely out of wood, even the two (2) pins holding it together. Also, the “spring lock” in the handle was made of wood so that the blade would “lock” in position with an audible “click” when it was opened up.

Whoever it was that “whittled” it out sure did a fine job. If it had been stained to match the colors of a real knife it would have taken a “hands-on” inspection to determine otherwise.

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:15:22 am »
I love all your tiny things. A knife smaller than a dime - you have such a great eye. Plus collecting small things takes so much less space!

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 07:53:34 pm »
The neatest little knife I ever seen was in my Uncle’s collection. It was about 3” in length and an exact “copy” of a single-blade Barlow knife (see pic below), except it was made completely out of wood, even the two (2) pins holding it together. Also, the “spring lock” in the handle was made of wood so that the blade would “lock” in position with an audible “click” when it was opened up.

Whoever it was that “whittled” it out sure did a fine job. If it had been stained to match the colors of a real knife it would have taken a “hands-on” inspection to determine otherwise.

I have that same little two blade Barlow here on my computer table and another in the knife case !! That was what my Dad carried all his life !! Also have another in my tackle box but it has seen better days !!

wilhenri

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 06:12:40 am »
Oh dear a knife in your errr " Tackle Box " ouch be careful, not sure if that inference/ humour travels across the pond let me know........I had not better start putting my knife collection on here would drive everyone nuts  lol
BARLOW not a name I know over here but something to look out for that for sure. Unfortunately Ebay UK no knives etc so thats a huge loss to the knife collectors...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:14:31 am by wilhenri »
Mahatma Gandhi

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 10:33:24 am »
Believe me the knife is much safer than the fish hooks are !!  A knife in the tackle box is a "must have" !!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 12:04:36 pm »
"Tackle box - female anatomy ...?  Just guessing.     Not a term used in the US
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 12:23:44 pm »
LOL !!  Forgot about that one !!  Maybe I should be more specific !!  FISHING TACKLE BOX !!   ;D

wilhenri

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 01:20:33 pm »
Male anatomy Pelady  .. ;D
Mahatma Gandhi

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 02:08:30 pm »
Wow...always learning something new on here...and not necessarily about antiques!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 02:17:40 pm »
Wow...always learning something new on here...and not necessarily about antiques!

Not sure I need to know about that one !!  If male anatomy,, I think I am safe !!