Author Topic: Antique Hat Pin What is the value?  (Read 2475 times)

agreeneyes

• View Profile
Antique Hat Pin What is the value?
« on: March 15, 2015, 08:08:57 pm »
The pearl is approximately 1/2" across and when I look at it through a magnifying glass I notice a gritty texture and imperfections.  I don't have a gold testing kit, but when I rub the pin on the bottom of a white coffee cup gold sparkly color is visible.  Would like to know possibly how old this is and the value, thank you

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Hat Pin What is the value?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:44:22 pm »
Where did you get this and what were you told? Some of it does not look like gold to me. 
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

agreeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 07:20:12 am »
I purchased this from and estate of an elderly woman.  I haven't been told anything about it, it was in a group of several items I purchased.  I'm doing my own research.  I haven't been able to test it for gold as I don't have a gold testing kit.  I did however rub the gold colored stick pin and the setting on the bottom of a coffee cup and the mark was gold not black.  I've done this is the past with several items and they have later tested for gold.  Do the pearls look real?  They have a beautiful luster and shine to them and they aren't perfect.   They have flaws when I look at them through a magnifying glass and the large one looks and feels a little gritty. Thank you

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 07:20:03 pm »
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20671/lot/17/

This is a Victorian pearl and gold hatpin.

agreeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:49:31 pm »
Any idea what the value would be and are these real pearls? Thank you

I'm so glad they fixed the picture loading problem, so nice to be able to ask questions again.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 09:15:09 pm »
I would have it checked by a jeweler. There are many pearl hatpins. Most of the pearls are faux, but supposedly if you rub the pearls across your teeth and the pearls are gritty, they are real. The best way is a jeweler.

agreeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:53:44 am »
The pearl does feel a little gritty on the teeth and when I view it through a magnifying glass it has imperfections and looks a little gritty.  If this is a real pearl about 12mm in size along with the other pearls and the setting is real gold, what would be your estimate of value?  If this is a faux pearl and real gold setting what would be your estimate of value? thank you

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 03:51:46 pm »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

agreeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 04:47:40 pm »
We'll I took it to a jeweler.  I found out it's heavy gold plated not real gold with real cultured pearls which is good.  I thought it was real gold at first because the magnet tested negative but once the jeweler started testing for gold it tested gold plated not real gold.  I appreciate all of your help and  information, thank you