Author Topic: Old Purple Chair  (Read 1445 times)

talos

• View Profile
Old Purple Chair
« on: March 21, 2015, 08:44:14 am »
Got this cleaning out a brownstone apartment in Brooklyn when I moved in.

I've looked around everywhere on it and wasn't able to find any identifying mark (brand, serial number, etc.)  I've got no idea if it's from the 50s or earlier, I'd be surprised if it's from later -- I'd love to be able to do more research, but I don't know where to start.  Brought it around to a used furniture shop here and they weren't able to determine much, either.

Happy to answer any other questions or take more photos.  The upholstery on it seems to be of high quality but is quite wrecked.  It's got a very cushy seat, perhaps with springs inside.  The bottoms of the legs have little metal knobs on them that are great for scratching floors.

I'm asking because it may go out to the curb for spring cleaning, considering its poor condition.  I'd rather not toss something that's worth salvaging.  Thank you!

Pelady

• View Profile
Re: Old Purple Chair
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:38:19 am »
It gives me a 1970's feel but I am not sure why.  Please take a photo of the bottom of the seat including the screws.

PeLady
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:11:38 pm by Pelady »
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:15:14 am »
This yells 1940's....old movies...Doris Day...Clark Gable.

Oh...I would love to find a chair like this!  Such simple elegance!

Can you please post a picture of the underside of the chair?

UPDATE:  I have been informed by one of my fabulous mentors that it is 1930's Hollywood Regency!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:21:00 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 03:47:42 pm »
Thanks for the comments!  Good to know the name of the style.  I did a bit of searching and found stuff that's vaguely similar, although nothing that close.

I've attached pictures of the bottom of the chair, the bottom of the leg, and one of the nails.  As far as I can tell it doesn't have screws, although there appear to be some staples in there.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 12:31:25 pm »
Definitely sticking with late 1930's Hollywood Regency on this one!  Beautiful chair (personally purple wouldn't go with my scheme but if the material was in immaculate shape you can paint it with upholstery paint these days!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!