Author Topic: Pottery - Please help identify-ORIGIN, AGE, VALUE? I'm new to potteryTHANK YOU!!  (Read 1967 times)

rhondae

• View Profile
]I have two new beautiful pottery pieces. I have a brown and tan butter churn with a heart and a 3 on it. The other is a large natural stone with a cool symbol on it.
AGE? ORIGIN? PRICE?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:23:11 pm by rhondae »

Rauville

• View Profile
Hello and welcome;
I believe your heart marked churn was produced by the Burley & Winter Pottery Co. of Crooksville Ohio under their "Heart Brand" line. They ceased production in 1932, but be aware that there are new pieces being made from original molds and marked: "New Burley Winter".

This is from an early 1930's catalog:

mart

• View Profile
The 3 would indicate that it is a three gallon churn !!

cogar

• View Profile
The 5 gal jar on the left looks to be the better piece $-wise. That is if the free-hand mark on it is “blue cobalt” (and it is not a repro) because that infers it is a much older jar.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
I agree with everyone here on this. They are both nice pieces but Cogar is right about the crock being the older piece. I am not sure about that wooden lid. People could buy pottery lids separately. Yours looks as if it was converted to a churn, but I am really uncertain.

mart

• View Profile
The churn lid really looks a bit off scal and too small,, I would guess its either a replacement or the churn was made for decorative purposes rather than using !! The lid should completely fit the inside rim of the churn !! The one on the left is not a churn and was/is usually used for fermented foods,,pickles, kraut, and preserved meats !!  I have a few of both items !!  Have no idea why they put that wooden lid with a hole on it !!  That is not something that would have been normal for that crock and it looks like it doesn`t exactly fit !!  I have a 10 gallon crock that the family used for preserving sausages many years ago and a few others !!

Rauville

• View Profile
The crock on the left appears to me to be a 6 gallon hand thrown salt glazed piece, even sporting a "turkey track" on the rim. Generally, salt glazing indicates production prior to roughly 1900. Around that time most of the potteries were switching to Bristol white glazes.
(Does it have a brown Albany slip glaze on the interior?)