Author Topic: Help to identify tv lamp - how old is it and the maker name  (Read 2915 times)

MyPath

• View Profile
 Hi, this board appeals to me, hopefully someone can help out.  Please help with my frustration with identifying my item.   I've searched high & low to find information regarding this old tv lamp. Maker unknown. I believe it is from the earliest 60's (funny thats my age) and it is either a swordfish or sailfish, don't know. I recall seeing lots of t.v. lamps in my childhood, I was drawn to them somehow.  I recall this particular one with either a mustard yellow lighthouse version or a green lighthouse version. Not sure I remember an orange version, as this one.  I've searched everywhere online, I can possibly think of and came up empty. You name it, googles/images/worthp./purchased 3-tv lamps pictorial books, and tried to join a tv lamp comm .to inquire further, but think it is inactive, have not heard from them for several days. Not even sure I signed up correctly, its hidden from view. I find no markings other than The cord rocker plug reads the words: Gilbert, pat.no. 2,723,327. I looked it up and basically just shows who invented the rocker plug, filed Dec.26, 1950. The t.v. lamp works fine, it has a night-light bulb in the lighthouse and works great. The base of the the tv lamp has a crack but plan on getting it repaired. Is it worth anything other than sentimental value from MIL? 

Just realized, not sure I can make the picture post...argh.   ???  Does not seem to work. It is a tv lamp with a large  leaping teal swordfish with orange lighthouse off to the side. Ring any bells?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help to identify tv lamp - how old is it and the maker name
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 07:25:10 pm »
I sure remember them but most were earlier,, can`t say I remember them after 1960 !!  The ones I remember most were the animals !!  Panther/leopard, horses, wagons and horses ect !!  Have you checked on ebay ??  Current sales and past completed sales ??  They were likely made in several color schemes !! Not sure that the difference in the lighthouse color would add to the value !! 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:20:53 pm »
Lost my link !!  Try Googling "vintage sailfish and lighthouse TV lamps"  !!  See if any of those sites have one similar !!  I would do it but dial up is not cooperating tonight !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 11:31:12 pm »
Also try searching under "accent lamp".
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

MyPath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 12:57:38 pm »
Thanks for replies, I appreciate your time with this......I've researched further still. No luck thus far. I'll keep trying...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 03:33:09 pm »
A couple of names that made similar TV lamps are "Mar-Lita" And "Texans Inc" !! I imagine there were many more that made similar lamps !! When I get out of the watermelon patch I will look more !!

MyPath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 03:53:33 pm »
A couple of names that made similar TV lamps are "Mar-Lita" And "Texans Inc" !! I imagine there were many more that made similar lamps !! When I get out of the watermelon patch I will look more !!

Hi there....yeah, a few days ago,  I've gone through the whole "tvlamps.net"  from A-Z, their complete alphabet of vtg. t.v. lamps on outer site. Supposedly a vtg. t.v. lamp  club exists but no access or even a response.   Also searched eBay sold & unsold, plus, over on Etsy.  Please don't go out of your way,  I appreciate your kindness upon helping.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:55:14 pm by MyPath »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 07:03:28 pm »
They made so many lamps that it is virtually impossible to have a single source with all of them.

Is your piece ceramic?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 07:48:23 pm »
I am wondering,, since it is close to some you have found but not a match (color ect) if its possibly an import !! All were not made here in the U.S. !!

MyPath

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 04:56:15 am »
KC: Yes, it is made of ceramic.

mart: Darn thing, I've put in hours into searching, over the span of many days. I find it strange it cannot be found even in Google images.  I've seen one in person in another state, antique store, over thirty yrs. ago. I don't recall the store pricing, but, it was pricey, in my opinion (back then). I now recall (triggered my memory)  the antique store remarked it was somewhat hard to find.    Well plus, in my childhood--I've seen a few.    Then, the next time I see it in person, deceased relative leaves me one. Suppose it could be a import. Guess I will let it stand as an 'unknown'. Thanks for your input!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 08:08:51 am »
Sorry I haven`t had more time to look but its garden time here and even with the rain I still have to pick and preserve !!  No sense planting and growing otherwise !!  I can see your frustration but sometimes there are things that we just can`t track down !!