Author Topic: Castle in Moonlight Painting  (Read 1123 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Castle in Moonlight Painting
« on: June 18, 2015, 10:24:15 am »
Someone told me this is a "reverse" painting done on glass, then framed. My mother acquired it about 25 years ago at an estate sale. I believe she paid over $100 at that time (would be over $200 in today's money). I have an interested buyer and when I told him what was paid for it, he blew air, rolled his eyes and exclaimed, "She really over-paid!" He offered be $25 which I refused. I think the ornate gilded wood frame is even worth a piece of change. It's fairly large (approx. 27 x 31" - outer frame). What would be a fair market value?

JaeR

• View Profile
Re: Castle in Moonlight Painting
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 11:04:01 am »

Just a stab in the dark, my friend bought a beautiful print painting of Alice in Wonderland (not sure of the artist) in Richmond, Tasmania, with an ornate frame. It was quite dazzling as I was with her when she bought it. She paid $350AUS, which i said to her it's probably a little inflated on price. But the beauty is in the eye of the beholder with pieces like this. I loved the print too (particularly the frame), but I didn't feel it was worth that much to hand over for. Your piece might be just that, whatever one sees as a fair price based in their love of the piece.

:)