Author Topic: Help with identifying S shaped swan  (Read 2777 times)

huskysrt

• View Profile
Help with identifying S shaped swan
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:37:55 pm »
Hello everyone, I am hoping that someone may be able to identify this small S shaped swan item. I think that it may be made out of brass but not to sure. It dose not have any stamp markings on it and has no eyelet for a chain so I don't think it was a pendant. It is identical on both sides and is about 4cm long. I have had it for about 35 years sitting in the bottom of a draw. Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

( I hope my photo turned out )

konniem56

• View Profile
Re: Help with identifying S shaped swan
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:29:16 am »
That is a rattlesnake

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 07:34:06 pm »
I thought snake too but it has a birds shaped head and what looks more like a beak than snakes head,,the body is scaled like a snake !!  I have no idea but was probably a necklace !!

huskysrt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:59:43 am »
Hi, it definitely is not a snake, the head is that of a duck or swan, when viewed through a magnifying glass you can see the area between the head and the beak (or bill) that the nostrils are in. The body looks like scales but on close examination you can see that they are feathers as there is mark inside each one which I presume represents the shaft of the feather. I originally thought it may have been for a necklace or similar but there is no evidence of there ever being an eyelet or anything that a chain could have gone through. Here is a picture of a roman duck or swan item that is similar. Any thoughts. :P

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 10:11:58 am »
If the beak is touching the body the chain could have went through that opening !!  Could have also been a keychain or similar item !! Does not look very old as things go,, and possibly was a souvenir from someones trip to Rome !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 11:17:55 pm »
S shaped items were used for buttons, jewelry, buckles, etc.

Here's some s shaped buckles to peruse!
http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/s/snakebuckles.htm
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 01:56:23 am »
looks like a repro roman serpent buckle to me !

huskysrt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 05:04:31 am »
Thanks to everyone with the help to identify my item as I now know that it is a snake buckle, they were issued to the military. And Australian metal detecting forum has a picture of one that is basically identical to the one that I have, except mine is missing the ring for the belt. After seeing the photo I reexamined mine and I could see the grove made by the ring. I now just need to find out when it was made as they have been issued  to the military for quite a few hundred years. They were issued to British, Australian and US soldiers and are not uncommon in England and Australia but are fairly rare in the US, as they were only used in the civil war. They may have only been used by the British during the civil war. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 11:44:44 am »
Interesting !!  Let us know what you find !!

huskysrt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 07:44:01 am »
Just had a member from the Australian forum date my snake buckle. He estimates 1860 to 1890 which is older than I thought considering the condition it is in. Shame that it's not worth much more than $20.00.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 05:49:51 pm »
Agree that it is a shame it isn't worth more!  Glad you found out what it is and value!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 09:49:00 pm »
Shows you what I know about snake buckles !!  Nada !!   ;D