Author Topic: French Louis XV style armchair?  (Read 1529 times)

graceshan

• View Profile
French Louis XV style armchair?
« on: July 03, 2015, 09:44:18 am »
My uncle gave me this lovely chair some 20-odd years ago. From my research, I'm gathering this is a French Louis XV style armchair, circa 1940s, distressed and parcel-gilt frame upholstered in green velvet, padded seat and armrests, raised on cabriole legs.

Someone is interested in buying this from me, but I'm not sure what price to ask. Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Shannon

mart

• View Profile
Re: French Louis XV style armchair?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 08:22:04 pm »
 This type chair can be found for around $75. !!  Give or take a few dollars either way !!

graceshan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 09:11:10 pm »
Thanks for your response. That's disappointing! Ah well :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 08:34:08 am »
Yes it is disappointing but they made quite a few of these in different styles during what we call the Hollywood Regency period (late 30`s and 40`s) !!  I call it the Bette Davis period !!  To restore the chair would cost much more than the value !!  As a general rule 40`s furniture is not very popular from a sales aspect !!  There are exceptions,, so keep in mind that I am speaking broadly !!  Would take a certain type home/room/decor for your chair to look good in !!  Sorry for your disappointment !! 
Since you are thinking of selling,,ask the person what they are willing to pay for it,,could be more than what I said !!  That would be fair either way,, or just ask $150. and deal from that amount !! Shops usually have an asking price and then,,a taking price ,, you can as well !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:22:37 am »
I would LOVE to find one for $75 in my area.  In my neck of the woods this would sell for $90 to $150.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!