Author Topic: Need help!! What is this?  (Read 2238 times)

gokunozero

• View Profile
Need help!! What is this?
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:50:45 pm »
Hi, I been searching everywhere but I can find the name for this surveying instrument anywhere ??? All I know is that it was made by keuffel & esser New York. I have one very similar to the one on the picture made by the same company. thanks for the time.

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Need help!! What is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:12:55 pm »
Could it be a model of one of their "Odometers"? (They were usually used by "timber cruisers" in the forest.)

Update: Towards the bottom of this page http://antiquesurveying.com/K&E%20History.htm there is a PDF file for a 1904 Forest Instruments Catalog. Check page 15 for an example of an Odometer in a slightly different design.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:08:21 am by Rauville »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 08:24:23 pm »
http://www.surveyantiques.com/customergallery1.htm

Try looking through the customer photos here !!  I have no clue what it is called but you may find a similar one at the site above !!  Rauville or Cogar probably could tell you the name !!  Maybe they will take a look tomorrow !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 05:26:16 am »
That looks more like a drafting instrument than it does a surveying instrument. 

HA,  ;D maybe for creating the original document (plat) from the survey figures.

What turns the "threaded" screw in the center? It has to be turned by a "wheel" or something underneath for the calibrated dial to rotate.

gokunozero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 02:58:47 pm »
You are right Rauville, it's an odometer thank you so much, this is what I found throught searching with the correct name:

The odometer manufactured by Keuffel and Esser Company measured distance traveled. The metal frame holds two dials. The top dial consists of units marked in single digits from 0 to 100. A window in the top dial reveals a second dial below with similar marks. The unit of measurement is not specified. The device attached to a vehicle by the ring at one end.

The Post Office Department equipped route agents with odometers to establish rural free delivery routes at the turn of the twentieth century. Using odometer readings and maps, officials worked to optimize the routes in new areas. They sought to use the minimum number of carriers and to portion the routes into equal distances. Some carriers used odometers to argue for changes to their routes, recording their miles covered and hoping to prove that an alternate road could save time. (the first pic is from an odometer The National Postal Museum, the second one is the one I have)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 04:05:57 pm »
Very interesting instrument !! 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 05:34:57 am »
I am still ccurious as to what turns the "threaded" screw in the center to cause the dials to rotate?

Is it just a pendulum action? ??? ???

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 03:22:36 pm »
Nice piece and thanks for the historical information.  I too wonder how it works cogar!  Always something new to learn!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

AndrewCampbell

• View Profile
    • AC Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 01:41:01 am »
I have never seen such old odometer, but such instrument is truly useful when finding an alternative route. It helps in optimizing routes in areas to save time and become more efficient. Postal systems and courier services would use this. I think GPS systems, which we commonly use now, would use such technology. Not sure, but GPS systems would always optimize the best route for you.
Andrew Campbell started trading in antique silver in 1977. Over the years, Andrew’s passion and interest in high quality items crafted in silver grew, and AC Silver flourished. As a result of providing customers with a wide range of items, along with a professional yet personal service.