Author Topic: Made in Italy female statues help  (Read 1254 times)

Shiiea

• View Profile
Made in Italy female statues help
« on: July 20, 2015, 02:20:25 am »
Hello everyone,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this =).

I need a little help figuring out what I have on my hands right now and whether or not it is a real or a fake or something. I went to an estate auction and brought these two items there. There is no information with them and I am uncertain as to whether or not they are made of  Alabaster. To me, they feel like a mixture of plastic and rock but more on the rock side and they are rather heavy. One also seems to be stained with some kind of blackish brown stain. The only information I have is a gold stamp saying "made in Italy". It does look like there has been many other stamps on the item over the years. There is also one sticker with a word on it but most of the words are missing and I am only assuming it may have said Alabaster. Anyway, I'll upload some photos and look forward to your thoughts on what this item may be.

Thank you all greatly for taking the time to read this and helping out. Truly appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Made in Italy female statues help
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:50:29 pm »
Can only see one pic !! First of all,, do a hot pin test to see if it is indeed alabaster or a resin statue  !! Looks suspicious to me !!  There are many resin ststues on ebay !!  Can you post a piuc of all the stamps/tags ect ??

Shiiea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 11:52:33 pm »
Wow, I am so sorry Mart. When I first posted in this forum, I noticed that my photos were not uploading so I actually had given up and even deleted the forum. I guess that didn't work at all.

I'll try again right now to upload all the photos. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Update - I just did the pin test after researching what it was and I heated a pin til it was red hot and poked one of the items. With a bit of force the pin made a small hole. The item is still heavy though. I'm not sure how alabaster is meant to react to the hot pin test however.

Should also add that one of the ladies seem to have some kind of brownish grey stain that won't come off.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:28:37 am by Shiiea »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 10:27:11 am »
We have had some problems with upload time for the pics !!  They take a while but eventually do load so give plenty of time for them !!  Alabaster is a stone,, it does not melt at all !!  When you did the pin test there should have been no change whatsoever !!   Resin on the other hand will melt slightly and have a bit of a chemical smell !!  So your statues are resin,,or at least the one you tested was !!  Be sure and test both !!  There are statues made of a combination of ground bone and resin that may or may not melt !!  Chances are both are resin but like I said be sure and check both pieces !!  Look on ebay for resin statues to see the variety that are sold there !!
Oh yes,, and welcome to the forum !!  Pleased to have you join us !!