Author Topic: Antique or Vintage Silver Brooch  (Read 2006 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Antique or Vintage Silver Brooch
« on: August 03, 2015, 08:31:50 pm »
I purchased this a couple weeks ago from the TS, it's a rather large brooch that looks to me artist made (not factory).

The brooch is about 4" in length and there are 2 large heavy glass stones in the brooch that measure about 1" in height, 3/4" wide and about 3/8" thick.

I think it's made of sterling silver that has been gold washed or plated. There is a stamp on the back that I really can't make out but I think it may say "Sterling".

Does anyone know who may have made this brooch and when or what time period it might have been made?

Thanks!
Kevin

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Antique or Vintage Silver Brooch
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 11:56:34 am »
What can you make out?

W--ing
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:24:59 pm »
I think what I can make out is ST**LING but I'm not sure.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:44:19 pm »
Looks like Sterling to me !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:52:48 am »
I have looked at it soooo many ways and just don't see Sterling.  Are you near a reputable jeweler that can help you out?  Do you have a loupe?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 07:35:27 pm »
Don't know any jewelers, not really worth having checked out. I'm fairly certain the brooch is sterling gold washed. No real metal value. Just wanted mostly to get a feel for the age (time period) and perhaps a maker (know it's a long shot). I keep a a jewelers loop in the car and another in the house, always bring it with me to the Thrift Stores, and anywhere I might need it.

AndrewCampbell

• View Profile
    • AC Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 12:40:09 am »
Sterling silver is easy to notice by its stamp. If you are able to make out a word that says so, then I reckon it has to be it. It could probably, like you said, plated or gold washed which could have caused the fading or staining of the word stamp.
Andrew Campbell started trading in antique silver in 1977. Over the years, Andrew’s passion and interest in high quality items crafted in silver grew, and AC Silver flourished. As a result of providing customers with a wide range of items, along with a professional yet personal service.