Author Topic: Antique Art Nouveau Glass Metal Handled Vase  (Read 2695 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Antique Art Nouveau Glass Metal Handled Vase
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:23:31 am »
This is an Art Nouveau Vase I purchased yesterday from the TS and can't find one like it or identify the vase.

It's about 9 1/2" in height and the base is about 3 3/4" in width. It's clear glass with a satin finish and is molded (including designs on the bottom).

The metal handles I think are pewter or some type of white metal although I see green patina in areas so I'm not sure of the metal type. There are some marking on the vase handles that I can't read or make out. The one looks like a boar with writing in it and the other has what looks like an animal with writing next to it. There is also what looks like a small clover stamp on the handle.

Does anyone know who made this vase and when it might have been made?

Thanks!
Kevin

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:17:35 pm by KevinM »

KevinM

• View Profile
Re: Antique Art Nouveau Glass Metal Handled Vase
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 08:20:10 pm »
The original image above for some reason was binary, and not down loadable so I replaced it with a new one. You may have to double click the image once it loads in the browser to fit 100% of the window. I've included a smaller one below.

Thanks!

" width="820" height="3831" border="0

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 03:17:06 am »
It looks like it has the age to it, and period pieces such as this can be sought after especially if the glass is free of cracks or chips. I saw   apair of green glass, pewter handled vases go for an amazing £1800 at an auction a few weeks back, but they were exceptional and I'm not suggesting this is a valuable piece, I really have no idea. The pewter has an interesting construction/fastening, but I'm surprised that they didn't continue with the pattern all the way round.
Just a single, close-up, large photo of the impress might be useful to others to help identify maker?

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:21:19 am »
Thanks mariok54, here's a closeup of the marks below.

" width="800" height="600" border="0

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 04:07:58 pm »
Shall I scream now or wait till later ??  I would call it Art Deco rather than Nouveau could be late 20`s or 30`s !!   Having computer issues with google chrome,, but will see what I can find !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 05:39:14 am »
You are probably right, mart .... when I look at it what screams out at me is Fritz Lang and Metropolis, so earlyish Deco I'd say?

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 08:27:22 am »
It's funny you should mention art deco. When I found this vase at the thrift store I showed it to a person I often see there and other places for years. I told him I thought it was art deco and he later came back and said he thought it was art nouveau and to look that up when researching the vase. I told him I thought the handle I thought had an art deco look and the base had a plant like look.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 10:54:13 am »
Absolutely beautiful bud vase!  I believe your piece is a very interesting mix of Art Deco (handles) and Art Nouveau (vase) This is VERY popular whether it is a bud vase or similarly made Silverplate/glass celery glass or spooner.  If you look at items made at this time the handles resemble those of a trophy.

The very muted makers mark....sure wish it was clearer...doesn't look familiar.  Ughhh.

Depending on area you live in, this could range from $32 to $69!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:39:09 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 01:39:48 pm »
Right !!   Early mix of the two styles but since I love the Deco look,, that's what I see in it !!  I have not found anything similar to the signature !!    The shape has an overall Joan Crawford look !!  Square shoulders, small waist, swirling long sleek dress !!