Author Topic: ullman mfg co new york  (Read 2507 times)

rink28

• View Profile
ullman mfg co new york
« on: October 20, 2015, 02:59:30 pm »
i bought this at an estate auction 2 weeks ago. on the bottom right of the picture it says "copyright 1901 ullman manufactoring company new york" but you cant see it in the photo. you have to have a magnifier to see it and i couldnt get a close up of it so i just took a picture of the whole item.  any idea on this piece? i tried doing research but couldnt find this one. any information would be great thanks. any value? i only paid 5.00

rink28

• View Profile
Re: ullman mfg co new york
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 03:05:51 pm »
sorry i accidently made 2 posts i meant to make one

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:14:26 pm »
Apparently they produced tons of prints. From answers.com:

"Ullman Mfg. Co. mass produced lots and lots of prints and photographs, and distributed them widely. Some prints may be easier to find than others, however.

Bear in mind the value of an item is dictated by how readily available it is in the marketplace at the time a person decides to buy, how much the buyer wants the print, and competition from other buyers. If someone documents the available prints and other ephemera, collectors may show more interest, leading to an increase in value.

In general, Ullman framed lithographs sell for $35-90 in online auctions and on commercial websites, and sometimes for a little more, $115-140, at live auctions. Antique stores tend to overprice the merchandise: recent [December 2010] prices recorded from common prints with price tags of $195 (Swinburne Seascape) to $375 (Priscilla, "Why don't you speak for yourself, John?"). To put this in perspective, the identical framed Priscilla image sold at auction for $80 in 2006, and for $25 in 2008.

Ullman postcards are also plentiful and cheap, ranging in price from $2-20, with most selling in the $4-10 range. Due to the wide variety they're inexpensive and fun to collect, but they have virtually no investment value at this time."
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 04:23:45 pm »
Ok thanks ghopper. Do you know the name of the piece is called? I guess I did ok for 5.00

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 06:07:02 pm »
This is a photo gravure printed on paper. I have rarely seen formal titles for these; they are usually named after the principle subject, i.e. "Woman in a Boat." I did see another print of this in a diptych, paired with a print of a man and a woman together in a boat. Although it was talked up heavily for auction purposes, the lot passed.

Which, unfortunately, seems to be the case with alot of these prints. They simply don't sell. There may be a few collectors here and there, but these prints were never intended to be multi-generational family heirlooms as witnessed by the fact that they're printed on paper. Rather, they were there to satiate the desire of those with limited funds with a taste for a higher, more "refined," social station.

Still, they've got their own sentimental charm, and at 100+ years old they're now genuine antiques. As touchstones of late Victorian social climbing they don't have alot of relevance to us now, but these prints certainly have their own brand of beauty. I'd say you did well for $5.00; just don't plan on making a killing if you ever want to re-sell.

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 06:13:37 pm »
I believe Ghopper has all points covered !!  A brownie point for you !!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:17:31 pm by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 03:58:21 am »
Yay! Only 50 more, and I'll be in Mart's league!  ;D ;D

-Broderick Crawford