Author Topic: Byzanthian cross 6th - 12 century  (Read 4478 times)

Billycourty

• View Profile
Re: Byzanthian cross 6th - 12 century
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 10:20:55 am »
Thank you all again for your thoughts. Personally I don't believe the patina to be applied, I don't know if any of you know much about antiques in France, but there really is no market for this sort of item. If I had bought it outside of France or somewhere there was tourist trade, I could agree. But why would any one go to the trouble of ageing this cross that has little value even if real. Also both antique dealers thought it was correct and both had other objects that they were quick to say were not old.  antiques are not hard to come by in France, and religious things are a dime a dozen.

I think I will take the cross to a local museum and see what they think. 

Thank you for all your time it is sincerely appreciated

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 02:49:51 pm »
Please let us know what the museum tells you! I also do not believe that your cross was faked in France, but it can easily have come from a country where a market for these items exist! However the longer I look at your item, the more I am convinced that it is not original, and I have handeled quite some ancient and byzantine items...

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 07:11:33 pm »
Thanks for posting about your cool little item , Billycourty .  8)

I'll toss my name in the hat with those who have the opinion that your item is not as old as you (& us) hoped it is .

It rather has the look of a portion of a door-knocker/drawer-pull/handle-for -something/etc , to me (what with sharp edges , possible wear marks & etc , at the 'drilled' portion of your item) .

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:16:37 am by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 11:00:01 am »
Well,, it is possible that we are wrong but I do not think so !!  Even though these things may be common in your area,, you paid 100 euros for it !!  A few transactions like that can add to the pocketbook considerably !! And another thing,, what reasonably intelligent antique dealer would scratch his initials in anything that old no matter the value ??

Billycourty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 12:43:16 pm »
Thanks for your help everyone I really appreciate it! If I get any sort of confirmation I will share it!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 02:22:46 pm »
BillyCourty, I hope we are all wrong for your sake.

You can only tell so much by pictures.  Holding/handling items in person makes alot of difference on many items.

I am skeptical because of the patina.

Please let us know what you hear.  Best of luck!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Billycourty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 01:20:05 am »
Thanks for your kind words! I will defiantly get back to you!