Author Topic: Age of "The Old Oak" print Courtesy of New York Historical Society?  (Read 1962 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
This is a print of "The Old Oak" by Durand that I purchased from the TS about a year ago. It has a sticker on it that says "Reproduction of original in New York Historical Society" "Courtesy of New York Historical Society".

The Print measures about 5 1/2" wide by 4 1/4" in height and under the picture is hand written "The Old Oak". The print seems old and is sealed in the frame with glass and with a thick card board or particle board backing glued to the frame.

Does anyone know how old this print is and if it came from the New York Historical Society? It's odd that "The Old Oak" is hand written if it was from the New York Historical Society wouldn't you think? I looked around on the internet and couldn't find another like this including the frame and sticker.

Thanks,
Kevin
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:20:26 pm by KevinM »

rink28

• View Profile
Re: Age of "The Old Oak" print Courtesy of New York Historical Society?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:30:25 pm »
In dealing with artwork this made to appear old. If you go on Google and type in the old oak by asher Durand print different articles will come up about how they made these to appear old by staining the paper. You can buy reproductions like yours for around 30 to 40 dollars

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 10:44:49 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Tons of information on this painting and on Asher B. Durand. Maybe email or call the Historical Society you can find out when they made the reproductions.

https://www.nyhistory.org/exhibitions/the-american-landscapes

http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/list.php?m=a&s=tu&aid=517

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 11:08:00 pm »
Thanks rink28, I think this is an older print, not made to look old. Haven't seen any this size either "5 1/2" x 4 1/4" or in an old frame like this with a glued on card board or particle board backing and old sticker and hand written print name or title. I had already seen a lot of the other reproductions. Don't think anyone would buy a small *modern* made to look like old reproduction print like this.

Thanks Pelady, I may have to send them an email if I can't find out otherwise. I'm sure they get a lot of request for other items already.

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 01:47:12 am »
I mean it might be an older print and the new York society might of had it just for a display print..but in the end it's still a print whether it's 100 years old to 20 days old. The value still remains the same since it's not an original. Still near though

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:04:02 am »
Thanks rink28 for the information. Wasn't asking for a value on this item. I know most prints don't bring a lot of value and are generally worth what you can get for them anyways.

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 12:54:50 pm »
i would try to contact them and see what they say about your item. let us know what they tell you!