Author Topic: Vintage Navy Sugar Bowl  (Read 2042 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage Navy Sugar Bowl
« on: December 12, 2015, 09:20:43 pm »
 This is an Vintage USN silver plated sugar bowl I purchased last week at the TS. It measures about 7 1/2" in width from the outer sides of the handle and is about 3 3/4" in height to the top of the handle and is fairly heavy weighing about 1 pound 8 ounces.

The Fouled Anchor and USN I think indicate it's for use by a Chief Petty Officer. On the bottom it's marked IS International Silver Co Silver Soldered 01375 41 O.

I think this may have been made somewhere between 1907 and 1940 but am not able to pinpoint the date. Could have been used on the White Fleet, or in WWI, WWII or in use somewhere else.

Is there a way to pinpoint the date using the IS information or would the numbers they used on this sugar bowl be re-used over the course of decades?

Thanks!
Kevin

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Navy Sugar Bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:45:25 am »
That 41 in a square is likely the year made !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 12:52:00 pm »
Like Mart put, the numbers in the square represent the year the piece was made.  So this one was 1941!

This was a very common way of dating an item for International Silver not only for military but also for Railroad silver.

Military and Railroad silver pieces are collectible.  Sites/articles I have enjoyed watching over the years is:
http://www.thepirateslair.com/navy-naval-history-silverplate-flatware.html
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/railroadiana/silver
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:54:16 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 06:26:45 pm »
Thanks Mart and KC. Mart I didn't know that represents the year. KC, thanks for the links, I've visited 1 of them before for Naval items. I always pic up the Military, Ship & Liners and Railroad flatware/hollowware when I see them and the price is right.

Below is a USN Pitcher I also picked up that has a number 38 in a square so that would be 1938. Below the pitcher is a large USN cold water pitcher I picked up. It's about 11 1/2" tall and weighs about 8 pounds with a ceramic lining. It does not have a number in a box on the bottom. It says USN International Silver Co XOO. Is there any way of telling when this was made?

Thanks!
Kevin
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:32:12 pm by KevinM »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 03:17:31 pm »
YOU ARE SOOOOO LUCKY that the ceramic liner is still intact!!!  They so often get broken!

Take a look/see at the photo on thepirateslair with a pic of "your" pitcher in it!

http://www.thepirateslair.com/us-navy-nautical-holloware-silver-silverplate.html

Might want to contact them...I bet they would be helpful!  Worth a try!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 10:00:50 pm »
KC, the ceramic liner is still intact and not broken. That's a good site, I also have the Captains Teapot and Serving Tray that are similar to the ones listed on that site. In the pictures below is a Silver Plated 5 1/2" Teapot I purchased fairly recently. The NYC Lines is the New York Central Railroad Lines I think, not sure how old the Teapot is.

Thanks,
Kevin

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 11:01:35 pm »
Nice!  I really, really like historical pieces like this.  You sure get some in good shape!