Author Topic: carved wooden vase  (Read 1650 times)

Skinny

• View Profile
carved wooden vase
« on: December 23, 2015, 09:52:22 am »
I just bought this vase. It's warped at the bottom, so I've put on a few of those pads that stick on chair legs so it will sit up straight. It looks to be hand carved and may be old. It only cost me $2. Anyone know anything about this sort of thing?

rink28

• View Profile
Re: carved wooden vase
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 11:55:37 am »
If there is no maker markings on it anywhere it's gonna be tough to get information on it. Might be just be a decoration piece.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 12:28:17 pm »
Markings? No one has signed it if thats what you mean. Here are two more pics to hopefully show a bit more detail.

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 01:41:13 pm »
If you go on Google and type in "wooden carved vases" there are some listed on there similar to yours just a different design for around 30 to 35 dollars

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 06:49:15 pm »
While it is hand carved and does show some age it is pretty typical of tourist pieces brought home from vacation !! If you notice almost all of the shapes are the same !! The body is just interlocking diamond shapes and all the others are a repetitive elongated S shape !!  There is nothing to indicate a place or culture of any kind !! These were done pretty quickly so little thought was given to the culture that made them !! They just needed something they could make fast and sell to the tourists !! My personal guess is it may have been brought home by someone stationed in the Phillipines around mid century or so !!  But its just a guess !!

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 06:59:56 pm »
That makes sence. Fifty or sixty years old.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 09:46:49 am »
Yes about that old !! Still nice though,, a little sandpaper on that bottom may even it up so it will sit evenly !!