Author Topic: re victorian johnson bros england china  (Read 1025 times)

seahawkchick2015

• View Profile
re victorian johnson bros england china
« on: April 02, 2016, 01:10:39 pm »
Hi everyone, I am 62 now and when I was 20 my grandmother gave me this set of china, I am nor very good at this internet stuff, but I cant find it anywhere. I would like to know what year it is and value and history....really any info... each piece has the gold slash at the bottom. thank you so much.

mart

• View Profile
Re: re victorian johnson bros england china
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 01:58:25 pm »
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/china-and-dinnerware/johnson-brothers

Here is a bit of the company history you might be interested in reading !!  Let me see if I can find that pattern !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 05:52:27 am »
Hi there and welcome to the forum !! I searched to see if this had a pattern name and found nothing !! Johnson brothers did not name all patterns and many other mfrs were the same !!  They made hundreds of patterns !! They made most things in a series and from what I can see this pattern was included in the Victorian line of dinnerware which has many patterns !! The link has some of the named patterns as well as some of the series names !!  For instance "Old English" is a line that includes many patterns !! You have to search each one to see if it is a named pattern !! The mark on your set dates it to after 1913 !!  They used several different marks !!  Almost impossible to guess exactly what years each pattern or line was produced !!  As to the gold mark it has little importance to the set !! These were all transfer wares and many of the workers who applied the transfers were paid by piecework !! Each had their own mark so they could be paid correctly !! Some used initials some used a number or as yours simply a mark !! I found many different gold marks within this line !! Hope this answere a few of your questions !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 11:49:11 pm »
I have looked a bit and haven't found it either.  They made sooooooooo many patterns!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!