Author Topic: Age of old religeous icon  (Read 2815 times)

jondar

• View Profile
Age of old religeous icon
« on: April 11, 2016, 06:20:55 pm »
Would anyone like to guess the age of this old religeous icon?  It came into my possession when my mother passed on in the 80's.  It was brought to the U. S. by my mothers  g-grand mother when she left Ireland.  Her name was Mary McCarty, married a Maurice O'Donoughue.  She was born in 1820 in County Limerick, Ireland.  The icon could have belonged to her mother or back further even.  It is made from Connemara marble with brass backing and brace.  Some collectors who have examined it think it is from the Louis XVII era.  No way to tell for sure.  Any guesses?

jondar

• View Profile
Re: Age of old religeous icon
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 06:27:31 pm »
Sorry some of my pics didn't post, try again.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 05:40:51 am »
Interesting. I didn't know that Connemara "Marble" is not marble, but serpentine.

Can't say about the age, but Connemara "Marble" was heavily used in the U.S. in the Deco period. Since your icon has a certain flowing Deco appearance, is it possible that it was purchased after immigration?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 06:21:49 pm »
Thanks ghopper.  I didn't know that either.  I don't think it was purchased after immigration.  My mother told me she played with it as a toy as a little girl and that it was brought from Ireland.  Probably never know the true age but its not that timportant.

Rauville

• View Profile

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 06:04:29 pm »
Rauville - By George I think you've got it!  The shape of the marble and the backing plate are similar and the thing that props it up is almost identical.  So I think it is probably French.  I'm trying to think what was it exactly my mother told me about it.  I was very young, six maybe or five.  I can't remember for sure if she said, "your grandmother" or "you're great grandmother."  My maternal grandmother's maiden name was Howard, and remember from reading grandmother's obit, that her mother was described as Mary Montieul of France.  So I have to consider that it may not be Irish, and probably not.

My daughter is a very good genealogy researcher so I think I will turn her loose on it  Thanks very much for the info   Jon

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 07:44:39 pm »
20th century after all. Good to know.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 01:01:53 am »
I have seen these referred to as a ex-voto candle stand.  Do believe it is French!  It was for religious  practices at home and most often accompanied by a votive candle!  Some are made with holders for Holy water.

Here's some other French examples!!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/222407560/french-vintage-religious-marble-standing?ref=market

https://www.etsy.com/listing/189596416/french-vintage-religious-marble-and?ref=market

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 07:11:24 am »
KC - Well, after going thru these many adult years thinking it was Irish, I do think there is the possibility it could be French after seeing the examples shown.  I wish I had asked more questions.  The one other time, several years ago I asked on an antique forum about it, several of the responders seemed more interested in the back of it, especially the item that props it up, and said that they thought it was "from the time of the French kings."  In looking it over with a lens you can see the tiny nicks and chips from years of wear, so I don't think it is contemporary. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 11:06:57 am »
I do believe it is French from all I have seen.  I have really searched to find an Irish one and just can't seem to find one with any marble!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 05:46:57 am »
Thanks to all who helped me on this.  Really appreciate it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 02:18:05 pm »
My pleasure!  I love seeing your treasures!