Author Topic: Civil War Mess Equipment  (Read 2046 times)

jondar

• View Profile
Civil War Mess Equipment
« on: May 14, 2016, 11:46:34 am »
When my step-Dad passed away, I came into possession of some of his family belongings.  I have, thru the Internet, located some of his close relatives in southern Illinois, and passed on to them a lot of things, family Bible, family photo album, old shotgun, tiny steamer trunk, etc etc etc.  I'm left with some things belonging to his grandfather who served during the Civil War in the 40th Illinois Regiment.  I located his service records and he participated in several of the well known battles.  We will be moving "back to town" in the near future and I have to get rid of a lot of things.  The skillet (for want of a better word) has about an 18" handle, is cast iton, and in one end a place to insert a stick and hold it over a fire.  My step-dad said his grandfather would tell him how he would stick the cleaning rod of his rifle (or musket?) in the handle and hold it over the fire baking (hoe-cakes) in it.  Whatever those are.

There is also the bigger cup he used and an an adjustable aluminum cup.  My pictures aren't the best and in the pic of the logo stamped into the handle of the skillet it shows two "different looking fishes, side by side, head to tail and some number not sure what it is.  Maybe you can use zoom-in and make it out.

My question is what should I ask for these relics?  I do have the history of the 40th Infantry Regiment with his grand-dad's name, weight, height, complection and marital status.  Any help appreciated.

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Civil War Mess Equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 06:08:38 pm »
To my old eyes the frying pan looks like forged sheet iron, rather than cast iron. Cast iron was pretty hefty to be carried around by an infantryman. Regardless, I think it's a neat piece that a collector or reenactor would like for maybe $50 - $75.

A bit of information: http://www.140thny.org/freshfish/fryingpans.html

The little collapsible aluminum cup is actually a "bicycle cup" from maybe around 1900. Aluminum was valued higher than gold up until the 1880's.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 06:22:41 pm »
I have a similar frying pan in my garage !!  But mine is solid handle for use over an open fire !!  Didn`t know they made one with a hollow handle !!
That cup looks more like WWI !!  Cant see well though !!  Closer side view would help !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 09:57:55 am »
Rauville - Yes you're correct, that wouldn't be cast iron.  It weighs about two pounds, and that's good about the info on the link you provided.  I think this pretty much pegs it  I wondered about the aluminum collapsible cup.  It has a cover lid with the manufacturer and the price, 15 cents.

Mart, the handle on this one isn't hollow, its solid and the very tip has a flared portion which is "folded" into a cylinder in which the ramrod was inserted.  The larger cup has no markings so it may not have been C.W. period either.  Recently I sold a cup on which the finger grip was stamped with U.S. and I thought that was C/W/ but a collector corrected me and now I know it was Indian Wars.  Live and learn.

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 10:18:34 am »
"That cup looks more like WW1"
Mart, hadn't thought of that, but my stepdad was in WW1,  Entered the Army in 1918 and was discharged shotrly after.  Probably could have been his cup instead of his granddads.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 01:13:47 pm »
Oh !!  I assumed that the handle was hollow from the way the post read !!  The one we have is about 14 inches across and the handle is longer than that but mine looks to be more shallow than yours(about 1 1/2 inches) and just has a hole in the handle so it would hang !!  Probably for open fire or fireplace !!  Could put a lot of bacon in it !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 02:01:52 pm »
Tin cups were a pretty common commodity at one time. I've been told back in the Depression most auctioneers would offer free lunch at their farm sales in order to attract attendance. The auction would actually take a lunch break and everyone would get a small bag containing maybe a ham sandwich and a cookie. There would be a wash tub full of tin cups from which you would take a cup to have it filled with strong black coffee.
Fast forward to the 1980's, and I went to the estate auction of an old time auctioneer. One of the things I purchased was a wooden barrel 3/4's full of tin cups that he would have taken to his auctions.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 07:29:33 pm »
I know the type of cups you are talking about Rauville !!  This one looks heavier and larger than those were !!