Author Topic: Annie Oakley Facts and Fancies Promotional Pamphlet  (Read 2078 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Annie Oakley Facts and Fancies Promotional Pamphlet
« on: May 23, 2016, 11:08:33 am »
I just won an auction for an original Annie Oakley "Fact and Fancies" promotional pamphlet in its original slipcover. This was a pamphlet that was handed out to attendees of her shooting exhibitions. Looking online I can only find one other having sold at auction. It sold in 2013 without the slipcover as part of a three item lot with two Annie Oakley promotional postcards. The Auction estimate was $1000-$1500 with a $500 starting bid and it sold for $700.
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/18132954_annie-oakley-three-promotional-paper-items-inc
Condition-wise mine does have some creases, but they don't look too bad. The slipcover is deteriorating, with obvious issues. I paid $59.00 for mine, so I think I did pretty good! Can you guys find any others out there for comparison? Based on the others, what do you think this one is worth?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:17:21 am by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Ipcress

• View Profile
Re: Annie Oakley Facts and Fancies Promotional Pamphlet
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:44:53 am »
There was this with the same company
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/11692178_annie-oakley-four-interesting-paper-items

The value will be around a few hunrdred dollars and i wouldn't be surprised if that tissue guard / envelope is worth more than the $59 you paid on it's own, provided it is original.

Several years ago, i valued a rare book published and printed in Israel duing that traumatic period after the war. Originally published with a delicate tissue cover ( like yours ) and Bonhams or Christies had sold one for a few thousand. Ours did less than half that and one reason will have been the lack of the original tissue dustjacket.
We set a couple of word record prices during that auction so the lower price of that book wasn't due to location or lack of buyers.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 12:08:37 pm »
Thanks Ipcress, that is good to know about the tissue guard. I will be sure to put the whole thing into acid-free tissue and a sturdy box to prevent additional damage. It looks like the tissue guard is sized to the pamphlet, so I'm pretty sure they came together. I'll know more when it gets here. I really did not expect to win this auction and was quite surprised when I did. I love old west history and had been hoping for a nice, affordable piece of Annie Oakley memorabilia to come along!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 05:54:15 pm »
I am assuming the same 4 items was also offered by Heritage Auctions ??    Or do they automatically go to all sales venues when an auction handles a sale ??

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 11:15:21 am »
The Annie Oakley pamphlet arrived and the tissue guard is definitely the original. It is sized to the pamphlet on three sides, slightly longer on one end.  8) I've tried to locate information about these, the cover photo is from 1880s and the drawing on the reverse of her shooting from a bicycle probably dates to the 1890s when bicycling was all the rage. The only clues in the pamphlet are that she states that she has traveled in 14 countries and hunted in almost all of them. This sounds to me like her traveling days or over at the point when the pamphlet was printed. She also states "To me, the use of a cheap gun is like driving Star Pointer with a clothes line- you never know when the line is going to give way." I looked up Star Pointer and he was a race horse, the first Standardbred to break the two minute mile. Here is the info on Star Pointer:

"Star Pointer was the first Standardbred race horse to complete a mile in less than two minutes. Bred in 1889, he was a pacer by Brown Hal out of Sweepstakes.
Driven by David J. McClary, Star Pointer began racing in 1894 and in 1897 lowered the record for the mile to 1:59¼. His record stood until 1903, when it was lowered to 1:59 by Dan Patch.
Star Pointer was bred by Captain Henry P. Pointer of Spring Hill, Tennessee. His sire was Brown Hal and his dam was Sweepstakes. He broke the 2 minute mile barrier on August 28, 1897 at around 4:00 pm with quarter times of 30 sec, 293⁄4, 291⁄4, 301⁄4 for a 1:591⁄4 time.
Star Pointer died of a stroke several weeks before the Christmas of 1910. His record was 22 victories and 4 seconds in 30 starts. He had a total of 60 wins in 79 heats and earnings of over $50,000. Star Pointer's remains were buried beneath the finish line of the Dean Racetrack in Palatine, IL but his remains are now lost to history.
Star Pointer was owned by James A. Murphy,(born in Rome New York August 11, 1846 and died January 24, 1920 in New York City)and was a resident of Chicago Illinois. He was famous throughout the United States as a thorough horseman and was a familiar figure on the tracks of the big meets. James A. Murphy organized the Central Grange and Stock Exchange. Utica Saturday Globe January 24, 1920 Obituary."

So in the day that this pamphlet was written, Star Pointer was a common household name and everyone would have understood the reference. Annie toured with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show from 1885 until 1902. She also performed in other shows on the side for extra income. In the pamphlet she also mentions Schultze Smokeless Powder, which was in common use throughout the time that she was performing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Oakley

So my estimate is that the pamphlet dates from 1890s until the early 1900s. Does that sound about right to you guys? Any thoughts?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 11:57:49 am »
Yes, it sounds right on the mark. Interesting information about Star Pointer as well, a reference that I've never heard of before. Great find!!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 04:36:19 am »
That is interesting !!  Although many have heard of Dan Patch I did not know about Star Pointer !! Although I swear,, my gray mare must have been related to one of them !!  She has the most bone jarring, ground covering trot of any horse around !!