Author Topic: Painting dated 1916  (Read 1262 times)

debc

• View Profile
Painting dated 1916
« on: July 10, 2016, 12:05:56 pm »
My husbands aunt was gifted this by a friend, she had admired it in her home, and when she retired in 1977 her friend gave it to her.  She passed on 30 years later in 2007.
That is the sum of what I know about this painting.  I don't even know if it's a water color, oil, whatever.  I am completely in the dark.
Can anyone help shed some light?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:10:30 pm by debc »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Painting dated 1916
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:43:45 pm »
It looks like the subject is a 17th century fusilier. The detail is very specific, so my guess would be that it was copied (or inspired) from a very specific source our sources. I'd like to have the painting to ascertain the medium, but I'd guess oils.

I can't find the artist, but the tag says the artist was a relative, so perhaps he was a hobbyist and not a professional.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 03:20:06 pm »
The framing and matting don't look real old. I think it is a painting done whoever did it was just a hobby thing. The person who ever painted painted for fun. I couldn't find nothing on signature either.  Probably not well known artist

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 07:34:53 pm »
Is there a glass on the front ??  If so it is not an oil painting !!  Watercolor, or pastel most likely !! I agree on not a professional !! I found no record of a listed artist by that name !!  Nice work though !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 08:21:50 am »
Well written article Mat!  Thanks for sharing it!

Nice picture!  It "appears" from the picture to have a slight reflection in a corner so it has non-glare glass?  If so then it may be a print.  Also, it does specify that it is #0498 of the picture (but doesn't reflect how many were made in all.)

It is really special that you have the background of the picture as well.  Nice sentimental value!

I have tried searching for the Smith art and they are no longer in business at this address in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!