Author Topic: Need help with Urn....Jasperware,German (Schafer & Vater) or Japanese (Norleans)  (Read 1806 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Hi guys,

I've narrowed this one down to the above mentioned possibilities.  I found the Urn at a Goodwill in central Georgia (USA).  Measuring approximately 12 1/2" X 7 1/2".  Made of plaster or slip???? very heavy though, also it looks like a glass liner maybe???  It's unmarked, appears to have a scratch on the upper part of the base.  I could be mistaking it for a scratch.  Any suggestions or comments in hopes to identify maker.  Thanks in advance.

DANTE5

• View Profile
Additional photos.....

mart

• View Profile
Well,,it is not jasperware !!  And not Schafer & Vater !!  Looks like an inexpensive look-a-like made of plaster !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Agreed.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

DANTE5

• View Profile
Thank you.  I needed your opinion so I can move on  :-\.  As always I appreciate you guys.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
And thank YOU for your good manners.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
It  is quite nice but I think it is just a regular vase !!  Jasperware is made in two parts,,the body and the figures are done separately then the figures are sprigged into the greenware before firing !!  Your vase is made in the same shape as the jasperware urns and decorated to give the same general look !!  It was probably used as an entryway piece or if they had a pair,, on either side of a fireplace or mantle !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
Mart,  Thanks for the info on Jasperware.   With the Urn having similar characteristics it was the closes thing I could find.  Now I'll be able to at least look for those differences.  Knowledge is so good!!!

Pelady

• View Profile
Dantes,

I just had a thought when rereading this.  The glass liner - could this be an urn for cremated ashes?
Does it look like it could of had a lid?  That type of urn can be very expensive, but I have no idea if they have any resale value.

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
Thats true PeLady,, And I  thought about that but since it is made of plaster decided on just a vase for fresh flowers that would have a liner also !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
Pelady........There was a lid at one time.  When I found it my first impression was a Cremation Urn because of the glass liner.  I searched for just that "Cremation Urn", but I just couldn't find similar anywhere.

mart

• View Profile
Well,  If it a had a lid then that is still a possibility !!  You didn`t mention that !! However if you are going to resell it,, I think I would just stick with "vase" !!  Some people are odd about having such as that in their home if it has been used !!  But look at it this way,,if it doesn`t sell as  a vase you have another listing option !!  There are funerary collectors !!