Author Topic: What do you think about the pawn stars shop?  (Read 1456 times)

rulesoferick

• View Profile
What do you think about the pawn stars shop?
« on: August 04, 2016, 12:01:40 pm »
I've recently been in Vegas and visited this store for the first time; everything full and expensive and not that cool as the tv show..

What do you think of it?

mart

• View Profile
Re: What do you think about the pawn stars shop?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 12:12:29 pm »
Their pawn shop is not, and to me, never was the point of the show !!  The point is to teach about the history of these things and to get people interested in saving many of these items !!  That is  why the show goes into detail about the items, has the experts ect !! 

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 12:53:41 pm »
Agree with Mart, but the drama sideshows with the staff and "difficult" customers add some human interest. But as far as the real worth of the show goes, it's when they bring the experts in to look at the goods. Besides that, it's just entertainment.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 02:12:10 pm »
Much of it is self aggrandising, promotional hokum. They offer little information or experise in how items are appraised

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 02:55:44 pm »
Thats true but if they did,, it would turn into Roadshow and there are time limits involved !!  I personally had rather watch American Pickers !! To me its never boring !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 03:12:57 pm »
Apparently the show has a following and has done well with it's quirkiness of cast, historical information and treasure hunter dreams.  I have heard of others that have gone to their location and said items are priced high.  Well, I would whole-heartedly agree if you are the one who wants to "discover" unknown or unknown valued items and then reap the increased benefits of value.   They most likely are riding on the show's popularity and cashing in on that successfully with top pricing - majority would.  They are not going to be the one to go to for cheap or "great" pricing - the little unknown pawn store would better fit that bill as well as the traditional garage/estate sales and resale shops.

I do enjoy the American Pickers if I watch something Mart.  There have been quite a few places they have scrounged through that I would love to go scrounge!  :)

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 08:30:14 pm »
Oh !!  I would love to hit a few of those places !!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 03:52:29 am »
They visited a place recently which was just vast and filled with boxes and cartons - it's the one where he finds the military baseball outfits.

I would have loved a day in those barns !

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 04:01:41 am »
I remember that one Ipcress !!   Might take me a day or two but I could make a serious dent in those boxes !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 06:53:55 am »
I enjoy watching most of these shows but hey, it's entertainment mostly as are those house shows like Flip or Flop. 80% entertainment & 20% knowledge based. For killing a little time watching TV, you could do a lot worse.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:32:44 am by jacon4 »