Author Topic: Need help with lusterware mark ID  (Read 1234 times)

ssf2

• View Profile
Need help with lusterware mark ID
« on: August 02, 2016, 12:11:01 pm »
I have a bowl and plate done with a partial lusterware finish. The inside of the bowl and the center of the plate are the only iridescent portions of the pieces. The mark on the plate is very clear, the one on the bowl is very faint but in good lighting I can see that it is the same mark. Perhaps there was something under neath the mark as well, or it is a bit of stray ink. Hard to tell. The mark is a cherry blossom, but not the M cherry blossoms I have seen online. Is it perhaps a more modern version? Do you think it is still Noritake, and from the 1920's or 1930's? Or later than that? The iridescence on the bowl is in very good shape, that on the plate is not.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need help with lusterware mark ID
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:51:42 pm »
http://www.noritakecollectorsguild.info/bstamps/

You can scroll through the marks in ten year increments here !! The cherry blossom marks were mainly used in the 20`s !!  This site has the main ones listed !!  I think there are more just in variations of these marks !!

ssf2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 01:08:18 pm »
Thank you. Half the battle is knowing where to search!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 01:16:34 pm »
Your lusterware plate will normally have more wear that the bowl !!  Its probably a mustard bowl with underplate !!  KC will know for sure !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 04:47:57 pm »
Mart, to confuse everyone's brains...this appears to be a mayonnaise set!  Believe it or not these were very popular and are mis-labeled so much these days since we can "Bring out the Hellmans and Kraft" so easily in jars.  Just search Nippon Mayonnaise Set or antique or vintage mayonnaise set, mayonnaise bowl with underplate, etc.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:51:09 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 06:47:23 pm »
I've never heard of a mayo set! BAM!! A point for you.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 04:49:16 pm »
LOL !!  Mayo,,,Mustard,,, They should have written it on the  side for me to know the difference !!  Or use color coded bowls !!

ssf2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 08:41:49 pm »
The Noritake collectors guild site has this mark listed under their 'Not Noritake' section. They have 'Sumidagawa' but all I can find is Japanese characters, and nothing resembling this. Does anyone know where you can find examples of modern Sumida works? Tried searching online and all I get is the heavy pottery with figures on it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 09:12:55 am »