Author Topic: Interesting oil painting, curious on the artist if the signature looks familiar  (Read 1762 times)

jerryk

• View Profile
came across a wood framed painting that i just i had to buy, i am not an art collector but a working artist who rarely buys others work . I just cant figure out the name, an old painting with tape and instructions to the framer on how he or she would like to have it framed my guess. It's a pretty floral still but just cant get the name, if someones familiar with the name would be most appreciated 

jerryk

• View Profile
came across a wood framed painting that i just i had to buy, i am not an art collector but a working artist who rarely buys others work . I just cant figure out the name, an old painting with tape and instructions to the framer on how he or she would like to have it framed my guess. It's a pretty floral still but just cant get the name, if someones familiar with the name would be most appreciated

mart

• View Profile
Kind of hard to tell with the line in the painting splitting the name !!  Can`t tell where the letters begin and end !!  Its possible that this  was to be in a small gallery showing,, that why the artist was so specific about the framing !!  They want it to look its best !!  I did my own framing so that was not a problem for me !!  The name is not anything that rings a bell with me  !!

jerryk

• View Profile
thanks mart , yes wish i could make out the name, with the dot i suppose theres an I in the first name , maybe emil ? not sure its puzzling

mart

• View Profile
I think PeLady said 1970`s or 80`s and that is what I think too !!  I like the painting for some odd reason !!  And I am not one for floral still life !!  Emil is one I thought about as well or Emily !!

jerryk

• View Profile
i will post more pictures the back is very stained , just did not take a pic of it , and labels wedged between the back side of of the canvas and wood, i like a fool pulled some out but left two or three the paper is old, and marked fecha and other words , so possible this went to different galleries and not an 80's painting in my opinion but thats just my opinion the heavy staining caught my attention 

mart

• View Profile
You can take a canvas done in 2000 and store it improperly and get staining  !!  Let me look at the stretcher please !!  How are the corner keys made ??  Wood or plastic ??  Canvas is  a poor way to determine age !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Looks like late 60's to 70's to me!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jerryk

• View Profile
canvas is a poor way to determine age? that makes no sense , as a painter i have canvas kept in poor condition , works i care nothing about anymore and the backs still clean, talking about the mid 90's , to say canvas condition is no way to get an idea is beyond me

ghopper1924

• View Profile
I'd say 1960s. The first name does look like Emil. I searched and found several painters with that name, but they were earlier and the styles were not remotely similar.  I wonder if this was a hobby piece?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
canvas is a poor way to determine age? that makes no sense , as a painter i have canvas kept in poor condition , works i care nothing about anymore and the backs still clean, talking about the mid 90's , to say canvas condition is no way to get an idea is beyond me

Thats my point !!  I also paint and have done the same thing !!  Other artists will also use n older canvas or one that has already been worked on so when they do,, you have to take into account its age when he got it !!  Does not give  a good indication of when the current work was done !!  But,, how the stretcher frame is made and the corner keys will to a certain extent !!  But that would be within 50 years or so !! What I mean is the stretcher  frames now that you buy when buying a stretched canvas are different from those I bought when I started painting in the 70`s !!  Now I am talking about the back of the painting,, not the front !!  Sounds like you misunderstood !!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:49:52 pm by mart »