Author Topic: Any one have a clue about this mystery item ??  (Read 1203 times)

mart

• View Profile
Any one have a clue about this mystery item ??
« on: August 06, 2016, 06:34:21 pm »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Any one have a clue about this mystery item ??
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:54:58 pm »
My first reaction was a rope candle burner.  However, I would need to see the holder on the left (view from top and need know if there is a hole on the sides of it.)  I also need to know if it is a loop/ring close up to the stand main post.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 05:36:28 pm »
Did some looking around and "Almazan" is a town/area in Spain !!  There are several listings with that mark !! On one I could see smaller writing at the top of the mark but was too small to read !!  I  am thinking its sort of like Capo-di-monte or Limoges !!  Its a place not a brand name !!  I have found nothing about a mfr with that name !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:33:09 pm »
I really need to know more about this piece!  Arghhhhhhhhh!  Need to know if the cup/holder on left is solid or has holes!!!!!!!!

It still could be a coil candle burner with a hanging rod missing from the right side!  HOWEVER, that is mighty big 55cm high by 31cm arm  (21.5" high x 12" wide arm).

Okay, it most likely ISN'T a Wax Jack! A Wax Jack was a candle/burner that was used at a desk to be the heat source to soften/melt the wax for sealing wax - when you would stamp the seal on a letter/document.  Original Wax Jack's from the 17th Century were small but over time they got more and more ornate!The ropes of wax were so thin that they didn't produce much light and were pretty messy.  Used by government, offices of high standing and upper class.  They got more ornate over time.

The first picture below shows a large coil/rope candle and up on the shelf are wax jacks!  (Note they made all kinds and the more ornate the wealthier!)

BUT........I WONDER WHAT IS MISSING HANGING ON THE RIGHT SIDE?  BECAUSE....

- they made very ornate perfume stands in Europe and this could also be a variety of one of those! BUT THAT WOULD MEAN THAT THE MAIN PART ON THE RIGHT IS MISSING! 
Just to show that they hanging elements on perfume stands -
http://www.galerie-atena.com/en/perfume-stand-xml-258_279-4693.html

- it could also be a ornate string/twine or thread stand!  Depending on the holder on the left it could hold snips/scissors to cut the twine!   They also made waxed string stands that had a candle to seal the string/twine!
https://www.rubylane.com/item/1312535-MISC128/Sewing-Spool-KNAVE-thread-dispenser-stand

The right side could have held a thread barrel like this:
http://elegantarts.com/product_info.php?products_id=574
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:53:36 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 02:56:12 pm »
IT'S A BIRD!  IT'S A PLANE!!  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, IT'S A WINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG G NUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 05:41:14 pm »
 ;D   ;D   ;D