Author Topic: Lock the Door! Your Boomer Parents Have Decided to Downsize  (Read 2605 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Lock the Door! Your Boomer Parents Have Decided to Downsize
« on: November 20, 2016, 04:39:54 am »
Slow in here so i thought i'd start off today with a new thread, HEY! your kids don't want your junk when you retire! I kinda always knew this which is why i'll just sell off my collection when it's time rather than try to convince the kids, some of whom are approaching middle age now that this early furniture obsession of mine has some really cool objects! THEY DO NOT WANT THIS JUNK!!!

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/800239685050109952
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 04:51:46 am by jacon4 »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Lock the Door! Your Boomer Parents Have Decided to Downsize
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 06:08:13 am »
Too true. A bookcase that's been in the family 150 years, and no takers. The plethora of fine objects flooding the market may soon make antiques all but worthless, even the nice ones. It's hard to believe that the market could get worse, but under this scenario most of it would just collapse, except for the very high end.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 06:10:03 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 06:54:50 am »
 A bookcase that's been in the family 150 years, and no takers

Yeah, it's a little sad in a way but it is what it is! This week, during TG when most of the family will be here, i will just lay it on them that i plan on selling most of my early furniture so if anything strikes their fancy, now is the time to speak up. I expect a lot of silent stares!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 10:25:51 am »
It has been interesting being on the forum over the years.  We have seen many an estate be displayed here.  Most are reverent of their folks/grandparents items even if they aren't going to keep them.  However, we have seen some that were disgusting in their disrespect for their parents and siblings and were all out for themselves.  Those, I am proud to say, were not highly regarded by the forum members and were told to go elsewhere for help on their items.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what becomes of ours.  I know my furniture isn't the style of my children's at this point.  So, it will most likely be sold.  My favorite silver collection of Victorian pieces is to be donated to a museum.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:28:40 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 10:49:47 am »
A bookcase that's been in the family 150 years, and no takers

Yeah, it's a little sad in a way but it is what it is! This week, during TG when most of the family will be here, i will just lay it on them that i plan on selling most of my early furniture so if anything strikes their fancy, now is the time to speak up. I expect a lot of silent stares!

Wonder if you will get the same result if its cash ??  Only have one daughter but she loves the old stuff same as I do,,just doesn`t know much about it !!  Family stuff will stay in the family !! Even grandkids want to keep family items even if small and not worth much !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:58:35 am »
small and not worth much !!

SMALL is the key word there, my obsession is old furniture. Furniture is big, heavy, not easy to store or deal with which is why ghopper probably has no takers on that bookcase.

Wonder if you will get the same result if its cash ??
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO, cash has a way of making EVERYTHING all better! Take that bird chest, it's pretty valuable, christie has been after me about listing it with them. Now do i want christie to handle sale OR kids in a rush dealing with something they are not familiar with after i pass? I'll take christie's, better all around, better for kids to as it translates into MORE CASH!

CASH WINS AGAIN!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:09:04 am by jacon4 »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 12:20:42 pm »

You know, I'll bet i could develop an interest in early American furniture if a couple of choice objects, such as a bird chest or some 17th century items, would arrive at my door. I solemnly swear that they would receive the best care and highest devotion! :)

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 01:07:43 pm »
I feel the same about your marvelous bookcase!   Now I know 2 of my kids would love to inherit that!  :)

It is stunning!  What are the dimensions?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 02:16:14 pm »
Hey KC!

Glad you like the bookcase. Ms Ghopper and I love it as well!  With the crest it's about 92". The width is about 35" (doing this from memory). We certainly want to keep it until we're on life support, but past that I'll send you an e-mail when it's time......... ;) :D

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 02:38:32 pm »
My problem is, i plan on retiring to coastal carolina in the next couple years, i just can't take something like the bird chest down there even though it's only 3.5 hrs by car from charlotte, it's just to big and heavy. Matthew blew through there just a few weeks ago and, it'll be YEARS before many towns there recover, 30 people or so were killed. You gotta be able to throw a few items in car and LEAVE! RIGHT NOW! I just can't take all this junk with me, a couple small items yes, the big stuff, noooooooooooooooooo ooooo.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 05:32:46 pm by jacon4 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 12:04:24 am »
Well...ghopper1924 I have just the right place for it!  LOL

No, it did tweak my interest in finding a narrow (singe door) bookcase for an area I hadn't previously considered.