Author Topic: Oak arm chairs - antique?  (Read 681 times)

OldHouseLover

• View Profile
Oak arm chairs - antique?
« on: November 28, 2016, 06:30:13 pm »
Some years ago, my daughter acquired 4 matching arm chairs with square carved, upholstered backs and seats (see attached photo).

The chairs appear to be made of solid oak; they are sturdy and stable.

The dimensions are:
41"H x 23"W x 18 1/2" D

The upholstery is leather (thin, cracking and split in places) and the seat contains springs mounted on a metal frame.

The manufacturer is listed on the tag as: Walter F Barnes,  372 Broadway, NY

Searching online, I found materials indicating this company was active in the 1890 to 1920 era.

My questions are:
  • Is the design of these chairs a well-known style?
  • Could the chairs be antiques?
  • Would it be difficult/expensive to reupholster the chairs?
  • Might the chairs have historic value to a collector?
Many thanks,
from a complete newbie
 :) 8)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Oak arm chairs - antique?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 06:52:41 pm »
Well I had another question but its not needed now !!  Walter F Barnes has an interesting history !!  He made no furniture had no factory of any kind !!  When I saw these chairs I thought they looked like someones waiting room or board room,, I was right !!  Barnes supplied only office furniture !!    He and his brother Ambrose were in business together !!  They bid on supplying furniture for businesses then contracted with several mfrs to make what they needed !!  Heywood Wakefield, Quigley Furniture, and Whitney Chair Co. were the companies used most !!   Problem was they did not pay the companies that made the furniture !!  In 1905 the mfrs ( the three I mentioned and one more) filed a petition in the courts to declare them bankrupt !!  And that was the end of Barnes & Bro. !!   So your chairs are most likely part of a office suite from NY !!  Whose office is anyones guess !!
They are antique since they are 100 years old and are Empire Revival in style !!  But as office chairs they are not high on any ones list to buy !!  I would say they might bring $35. to $50. each on a good day !!
These would be easy to recover !!  All you need is  a tack hammer, tacks and a staple gun !!  Use the material you remove as a pattern  !!  I would add additional padding to the chair seats !!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:54:07 pm by mart »