Author Topic: 19th Century Candle Box  (Read 1284 times)

XCrunner1776

• View Profile
19th Century Candle Box
« on: December 14, 2016, 06:02:09 pm »
I bought this box at an antique mall. The dealer wasn't present, but the tag said that it was a candle box and that it was very old. The front half of the lid opens, and is made of a different wood than the rest, and has ornate carvings. There is a circle containing a few leaves (maybe tobacco of corn?), but other than that it is unmarked. the nails are very irregular, and the hinges and lock are almost certainly hand wrought. I suppose it is from the mid 19th century, but I don't know. Does anybody have any idea of the date, or any other information? Thanks for your help!

Pelady

• View Profile
Re: 19th Century Candle Box
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 07:45:05 pm »
What size is the box?  Looks like somebody reused part of another box for the opening. The half lid looks like something from a bible box.
Candle boxes often had sliding tops or where open topped for quick access.

https://www.google.com/search?q=19th+sensory+candle+boxes&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS656US657&hl=en-US&prmd=simvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivx4H-h_XQAhXGthQKHSNGAHkQ_AUICCgC&biw=1024&bih=653#hl=en-US&tbm=isch&q=19th+century+candle+boxes
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

XCrunner1776

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 08:14:02 pm »
It is roughly 12 inches by 9 inches. I can't find any other known "candle boxes" that look like this either. The only reason I'm saying its a candle box is that that's what the dealer thought it was. It may be a Bible box. The inside is sealed with some sort of plant resin, so it was probably meant to be waterproof. Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of that.  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 06:45:39 pm »
http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=19073.msg132405#msg132405

The inside may have been sealed with paraffin or beeswax !! I would not argue with that date if not earlier !!  And it is what is known as a Bible or document box !!  Bible box is what everyone calls them but they were used to hold any important papers such as deeds or birth records and bibles !!  Jacon4 posted a Bible box not too long ago !!  Link above !!  You can see the similarities in how they are made/size ect !!  No two are ever the same !!
Since the front of the box fits much better than the back part,,look at the side photo,,I would guess the back part was damaged and replaced at some point !!
Need Jacon4 to look at this !!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:32:30 am by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 11:11:59 am »
I agree...looks like a Bible Box to me with the size.

They also had wooden caskets that were smaller for holding important papers.  Not all were sealed with wax.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!