Author Topic: antique foot stretcher  (Read 5308 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: antique foot stretcher
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 06:02:51 am »
Friday, I was trying to get in the shower. Phone rings and it's my mom. The dog is dying. I didn't get in yet phones ringing. It's the caregiver. Ugh! Woke up Tues. and thought it was Saturday. Then I was late, so I got a speeding ticket! Need I say more, lol.

Sounds familiar !!  We found out that because of a rain diverter hubby put on the roof to keep the rain from freezing in the heat/air window unit it caused the rain to hit the side of the house and run down which caused the siding, trim to rot !!  Undermined the foundation and rotted the floor joists on one corner !!
Then the lights started flickering in the house and throwing the main breaker !!  After three days the main breaker totally died at 3 am !!  Lit the oil lamps and started trying to find an electrician about 8am !!  Called the one we usually use and because the old breaker was put in sometime in the 70`s and was old could not find another one that fit in this town !!  Electrician bailed on us so had to find another that wasn`t swamped with work !!  Had to have the entire breaker box replaced !!  That was not a bad thing since some of the wiring was so old that some didn`t even have any insulation left !! 
Then three nights ago a 17 year old kid in a truck ran through our fence wiping out about 30 feet of it !! Neighbor stopped to tell us that all the horses were out and on the road !! This was at 2 am,, so I got up and checked the gate and it was still latched so shined the light along the fence and walked toward the garden !!  Found truck parts scattered with the fence parts !! Keep in mind that this fence is made of 4 inch steel oil field pipe set in concrete and welded sucker rods !!  Had the police out and luckily the front license plate from the truck was under the top pipe which was on the ground !!
Meanwhile horses walked across the road into a 200 acre hay field !!~  So I stayed up to keep checking on them and about 5:30 they all came back into the yard and wanted back in the pasture !! I opened the gate and let them in,, took an old extension cord and  went to the damaged area and tied it across so they would get no more ideas of wondering around !!
It was already daylight by then so I just stayed up til about 8:30 pm and then I crashed into bed !!  After a good stiff drink of course !!  Has been a wild time lately !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 06:27:16 am »
"The Perils of Mart and Greenacres!!!"  Coming to a theater near you!! ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 07:04:23 am »
lol, god almighty! All this from a shoe stretcher!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 07:23:43 am »
We have to complain somewhere !!   ;D

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 03:42:10 pm »
Thank you ghopper. I have been so busy I can't see straight.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:57:38 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 03:12:10 am »
Wow...you two have had a time.  So sorry to hear.  Glad the group can be here...vent away!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 05:00:44 pm »
I don't know loosing your horses might beat me. Glad they're safe! I hope they caught that driver.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 06:48:42 am »
The police knew the kid and went to talk to him !!  Day and a half later his Grandmother brought him over and he is going to help repair the fence and get the pipe (hopefully) !!  He said he and his girlfriend were in the truck and he fell asleep driving !! But I suspect he may have had a little liquor added to that situation !!  He doesn`t know how lucky they are !!  If that top pipe had went over the cab and windshield it likely would have killed them both !!  Or have been skewered by the sucker rods !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 11:20:27 am »
Yep!  They are soooo fortunate and too young/ignorant to realize how blessed they are!  (I know that many adults walking around today did lots of really stupid stuff and lived to either tell about it or keep it from their kids/family!  LOL)

Glad it is being fixed for you Mart!

I am still on crutches/scooter for 6 more weeks!  So bummed....but glad I have a foot (even tho it hurts like heck!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: !
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 12:28:26 pm »

I am still on crutches/scooter for 6 more weeks!  So bummed....but glad I have a foot (even tho it hurts like heck!)

Good for you! It is indeed terrible to think of you as being footloose.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 06:54:51 pm »
Thanks for the giggle grasshopper1924!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 06:55:26 pm »
I am praying for your toes KC !! Hopefully you will be on them again soon !!