Author Topic: Chinese painting. Can somebody read Chinese or is it japanese?  (Read 3671 times)

benbenny007

• View Profile
Re: Chinese painting. Can somebody read Chinese or is it japanese?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 03:42:24 am »
thx all for the input.
I researched the Japanese grammatical a bit and start thinking that the last symbol is wrong
I believe that it reads  わ せ 辰
Thats the closes i could get.
Any native Japanese here that can translate this?
Does it read something like  Risetatsu   ,   Wasetatsu  , or something else
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:49:41 am by benbenny007 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Chinese painting. Can somebody read Chinese or is it japanese?
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 05:56:10 am »
Now I will freely admit that I know little to nothing about “multi-color” Japanese woodblock pictures ……. but I kinda hafts agree with Mat that the above …… “is certainly a print, a Japanese woodblock print” …….

and my reason for agreeing, which could be 100% wrong, ;D ;D  is that iffen one looks at those posted “enlargements” …… one can easily see a “registration” problem with the different “woodblocks” when the different colors were being applied.   

Especially with the 3rd enlargement in Reply #7

Could be Cogar !!  Its hard to tell much of anything looking at pics !!  While I do not see what I would expect in quality of Japanese woodblocks we do not know what was intended at the time it was done !!  I mean if it was intended as an inexpensive art piece or what !!  Most woodblocks I have seen were very fine quality and well executed !!  But as I have said,, this is not my area !!