Author Topic: Which would you choose....  (Read 2196 times)

sreyomac

• View Profile
Which would you choose....
« on: March 01, 2017, 07:34:28 pm »
I have been wanting an antique clock for awhile now. I have been eyeing these two for awhile and now the shop is going out of business, so its now or never I guess. My question to you guys would be which of them do you like.... and of course the usual, any background info, value and alike would be nice as well. Also what questions should I be asking the dealer. These are the only pics I have of them. He is only open on the weekends so he cant/wont send any additional pics. I would appreciate any thought you may have about them. Thanks so much!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Which would you choose....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 07:43:20 pm »
They both look like Seth Thomas "Adamantine"-type mantle clocks from ca. 1910. I suspect that the differences are mainly in the materials and finish; the movements may even be the same. So: they should both be in the same general cost category; I would pick the one you like best visually and go with it. Personally, I would chose the top one.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 07:46:24 pm »
Couldn't read what is on the face dial.
Ditto what ghopper1924 said.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 08:10:11 pm »
how much wouldyou pay?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 08:37:38 pm »
First make sure he has the key and both work as they should, get him to wind them for you and check the time accuracy !! I like the top one best !!  Condition on these is not great !! You can find them online in as good or better condition for $200. or slightly more !! Completely restored about $450. but these are asking prices !!  How much is he asking for them ??

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:50:28 pm »
$100. But I have dealt with him before, he haggles and he is closing shop.... so I bet I could get it for less.

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 02:31:58 am »
Nice clocks, i'd personally lean to the top one aswell... Is it made from slate and marble?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 06:16:15 am »
$100. But I have dealt with him before, he haggles and he is closing shop.... so I bet I could get it for less.

A bargain even if you pay full price. Make sure the clock works correctly, then make him an offer.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 01:01:33 pm »
To me one of the important qualities is the tone. I love a deep tone with lots of echo to it. One that I will love hearing in the house. That would be a big factor in choosing.
Antiqueaholic in recovery