Author Topic: Need opinion on Antique Majolica Strawberry Basket (Damaged) Maker  (Read 2079 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Yes!...It's damaged :-[  However it has history. The marking on the bottom is numeric (script).  Measuring approximately  7" x 5.5", missing handle.  I purchased at a thrift store here in Georgia. My research continues to lead me a "French" pottery maker, because of glaze finish on the bottom.  Example; Ebay listing..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Majolica-Strawberry-Plate-c-1850-1875-/262907640106?hash=item3d3684392a:g:LxgAAOSwawpXu1pN   Your opinion is welcomed to help identify potter.

DANTE5

• View Profile
Re: Need opinion on Antique Majolica Strawberry Basket (Damaged) Maker
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 12:53:23 pm »
bottom pic..

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 01:47:52 pm »
Is there anything on the bottom other than the number ?? I do not think French majolica !! 

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:43:08 pm »
Can't determine if anything else is actually there.  I've looked at different angels and also scan image in an attempt to magnify and not sure what I am seeing, e.i. scratches or etching.  At one time I thought I was seeing 1954 etched on bottom rim.  I've included some additional photos.

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 03:03:01 pm »
I hope you understood my typo.  I've looked at it from different angles, it should read.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 07:18:45 pm »
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVjXvBNtYJ3IA1OQnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Vintage+French+Majolica&fr=yhs-mozilla-003&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-003

Yes I did !!  But here is a reality check !! The link has what French Majolica should look like quality wise !! The inside should be glazed,,yours is not !!  Look at how they are made then look at yours !!  Considerable difference isn`t there ??  Yours looks more like a really bad hobby piece !!   Sorry to be so blunt !! But if the quality isn`t there,, chances are it is not either French or Majolica !!  Just my opinion you know !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 12:36:56 am »
Your piece has charm, DANTE5, but I see Mart's point. Even if the handle was restored, I don't think that it's in the same league as the pieces in the photos. My guess would be a local Georgia potter.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:52:05 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 07:05:48 am »
Thank you guys.  I am always in search of the truth and facts.  The image quality of the photos is very poor.  I made adjustment to my camera.  Soooo, you see something good did come out of this!  Thanks again  :)

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 10:26:43 am »
Not French, although not new. Possibly East Asia for the Western markets.

I've seen those double vases with oriental designs. Make them in bulk and then pass them down different lines at the factory.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:37:43 am »
I know its not always easy to do prior to purchase but try to compare the known against the unknown !! See how each shapes up !!