Author Topic: Victorian Parlor Lamp - Value?  (Read 1385 times)

TJF711

Victorian Parlor Lamp - Value?
« on: May 09, 2017, 02:28:29 pm »
Hi All,
I inherited this globe lamp, and was wondering if anyone can give an approximate value on it - I did my research, yet can't find any insightful information.  It is dated to the Victorian era, use to be an oil lamp, and was converted to fully electric a few years ago.  The hand-painted globe is gorgeous, with Cherubs on all 4 sides, as well as hand-painted floral motif on all sides as well.  I believe the base is brass, as best I can tell.  I've attached photos for your viewing. Thanks for any and all help!

TJF711

Victorian Parlor Lamp - Value?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 02:52:17 pm »
Hi All,
I inherited this globe lamp, and was wondering if anyone can give an approximate value on it - I did my research, yet can't find any insightful information.  It is dated to the Victorian era, use to be an oil lamp, and was converted to fully electric a few years ago.  The hand-painted globe is gorgeous, with Cherubs on all 4 sides, as well as hand-painted floral motif on all sides as well.  I believe the base is brass, as best I can tell.  I've attached photo for your viewing. Thanks for any and all help!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Victorian Parlor Lamp - Value?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 03:40:28 pm »
Hi there !!  Is there a foundry mark on the bottom by any chance ??  Lamp/lighting companies do not make both the globe and the brass bases !!  Like today they just order what they need and assemble them in house !!  Thats why you rarely find lamps/lighting with a "made by" label !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:42:33 pm »
A thought.......has that base been painted? If so, that will detract from the value.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 06:07:12 pm »
You said you inherited the lamp but do you know when it was acquired ??  I can find several shade like this without the painting !!  Found one company that is selling new ones !!  My personal opinion is that this shade was not originally with this lamp !!   The lamp just looks wrong with this shade !!   How far back do you remember this lamp !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 06:08:32 pm »
Can we get these posts combined ??  I think the same thing Ghopper !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 10:10:02 pm »
Mart I combined them AGAIN!  Merged them earlier (also erased 4 other duplicates) and it somehow "unmerged"!  Weird!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 08:43:45 am »
LOL !!  You know this site has a mind of its own !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 09:04:01 pm »
👻
Ghost
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!