Author Topic: What would this heavy cast aluminum pan be used for?  (Read 768 times)

JeanneCurt

• View Profile
What would this heavy cast aluminum pan be used for?
« on: July 12, 2017, 10:17:41 am »
Hi,
I just bought this pan at an estate sale.  There are no markings on it so I don't know if it is new or old.
It is the size of a pie plate but has the raised area in the middle.  It is quite heavy for its size.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jeanne

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: What would this heavy cast aluminum pan be used for?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:24:09 am »
I am not sure about this particular one but from my past experience I have seen these items as a part of a set.  This was the "lid" to a pot with multipurpose uses.

Used as a lid it would allow the moisture to build up on the top and drip back down into the pot keeping the tops of meats/vegs/fruits basted (the small cone aids in this.)
Used as a pie plate it would be great for top crust pies or whole baked fruits put in the "outter channel" area for even baking.
Used as a cake pan it would have the cooking ability much like a bund.t in that the center would get done evenly - but the added bonus is that you flip the cake out onto a platter/plate and you then have a cavity to fill with fruits/puddings
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!