Author Topic: Library sole makers file cabinet  (Read 2094 times)

Terrapin123

• View Profile
Library sole makers file cabinet
« on: July 21, 2017, 08:39:32 pm »
Hello, I have a 4x4 file cabinet that I am thinking of selling but have no idea what it's worth is.   As the title says it has a Library Sole Makers tag on it. It is in okay shape and would need restoration.  I have seen smaller ones by the same company online but nothing of this size.  Any help would be much appreciated. 
Thanks,
Steve

Pelady

• View Profile
Re: Library sole makers file cabinet
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 01:29:13 pm »
What are the overall dimensions? What is the dimension on one draw? Is is a former library card catalog?
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 03:28:00 pm »
That is what it looks like Pelady !! 

Terrapin123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 06:40:59 pm »
Sorry I should have been more descriptive in my original post.   The dimensions are 64" wide by 50" high and 28" deep.  The top is a slant top.   The drawers  are 14" wide by 11" high by 25" deep.   I've attached a pic of the inside of the drawer.   It's not a card catalog but a regular file cabinet inside.  From my research I found that the Library Bureau made furniture in the early 1900's.  I don't have a history of this particular piece.   Thanks again for any help. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 08:00:05 pm »
https://books.google.com/books?id=LVLpAAAAMAAJ

Here are some illustrated catalogues !!  I think yours is about 1920`s !!  Generally with  access to the internet that we have and many  choosing to keep records online,,I am not sure these old file cabinets are in demand !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 06:25:14 am »
 Terrapin123 -
From my research I found that the Library Bureau made furniture in the early 1900's.

When you mentioned the name Library Bureau, it got my attention.

Thus I offer some historical trivia about Herkimer, New York, where I lived and worked for quite a few years during my early career days, to wit:

Library Bureau of Herkimer, New York

In 1876 Melville Dewey started the Readers’ and Writers’ Economy Company, later renamed the Library Bureau. The company’s purpose was to furnish and equip libraries with furniture that conformed to the new American Library Association standards. Dewey, the “Father of Modern Librarianship,” is perhaps best knows for his invention of the decimal classification system that bears his name.

The Herkimer plant continued to produce library furniture throughout a series of mergers. It eventually ended up as the Mohawk Valley Community Corporation. Pioneer Millworks salvaged more than 85,000 board feet of heavy hemlock timbers from the structure.
Source:  http://pioneermillworks.com/get-to-know-us/unearth-the-story/library-bureau-herkimer

And then there is this one:

Standard Furniture Company of Herkimer, New York

Standard Furniture Company was in business for many years, having been founded in 1886 by Michael Foley, William Horrocks and Frank F. Lathrop. It was once the largest manufacturer of office desks and wooden furniture in the United States. Herkimer was known as the "desk capital of the world."
Read more history @  http://herkimer.nygenweb.net/herktown/stanfurniture.html

Both companies were still producing furniture when I live in "the valley", ...... meaning the Mohawk Valley.

Cheers,    Sam C 

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 08:56:48 am »
Hi Terrapin123,

First, are you on the Eastern Seaboard and do you like turtles?

Second, I am trying to figure out the original purpose of your set of drawers. The slant top was obviously, for viewing items withdrawn from the drawers.

Legal Size is 8.5 x 14, Ledger 11 x17,  Your stated size of 11 x 14 is not a standard for any vintage/antique books, newspapers, or blueprints that I could find.  Perhaps it was for prints...?
Target your sales to lawyers or art dealers...?

Third, lots of oak filing cabinets and library cabinets on eBay none exact like yours. Wide range of asking prices. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=oak+file+cabinet

Actual sales of cabinets:  Seems to run 300 to 800 bucks in good condition
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=vintage%20oak%20file%20cabinet&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.