Author Topic: Hand Painted 3-D Plate  (Read 1172 times)

maa1247

• View Profile
Hand Painted 3-D Plate
« on: August 25, 2017, 07:16:21 pm »
Found this plate at an estate sale and don't know if its vintage or antique or not!  It measures 8" in diameter and 1" high.  There are no marks on front or back.  It reminds me of a setting of Tom Sawyer getting off the Riverboat.  It appears hand painted and is 3-D.  I'm not certain what this technique is either.  Hoping you can help.
Thanks
Mickie

maa1247

• View Profile
Re: Hand Painted 3-D Plate
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:07:02 am »
I searched the internet for embossed plates, 3-d plates, tom sawyer hanging plates, riverboat hanging plates.  This plate is 3-d, raised figures and has a gold border.  Thanks again.
Mickie

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 10:17:34 am »
Try relief

Relief is a sculptural technique where the sculpted elements remain attached to a solid background of the same material

As far as age, you see 1930's collector/ souvenir plates with two holes in the bottom rim to string cord through. In the 1960s and 70s there was a huge push into "collector" plates.  These came with hangers already attached or embedded in the plate.  Hard to tell from your picture but yours looks to be an original brass hanger.

I tried "story collectible relief plates" it brought up a wide variety of items to search through.

PeLady
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:02:18 am by Pelady »
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

maa1247

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 02:08:39 pm »
Thank you - never would have though of relief as being the sculpture technique - you guys have helped me a lot and I am learning too.  Thanks,
Mickie