Author Topic: What is this antique?  (Read 1355 times)

Unpolished_Gems

• View Profile
What is this antique?
« on: August 14, 2005, 03:44:23 pm »
I have had this piece for about thirty years and have never checked on its origin, time period or its value.
Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give.

It has a coat of arms with tree snails on a blue shield and a banner below that with 'WHITBY' set on yellow. On the under side of this piece is another shield with 'BEMMA' on it and a crown above this shield.

It has five fluted stems that come out of the top which have rippled edges that are edged in gold but some of the gold has been worn off.
The size is 3 1/2" wide X 2 3/8" high X 1 3/8" deep.

If the photo which I have included does not appear, I will ba happy to email other photos for any help possible.

Thanks...

What is this antique?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 04:14:26 pm »
okay, I believe it's a vase, but it has a name and it eludes me.  It is British I believe, and falls into a genre called Crested china or Crested pottery - the cresst is a variation of the town of Whitby - the snail looking things are just that - they are a fossil, called ammonite, and as with all things medieval, there're legends sort of on the order of the legend of St. Patrick driving out the snakes from Ireland.  It may be of a souvenir type available to persons whose last name is Whitby.  A coat of arms created using symbols of ancient heraldry.  I didn't find the maker Bemma.     KB

Guest_D&B ANTIQUES

What is this antique?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 05:04:38 pm »
;) puzzle jug.

news

What is this antique?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 08:11:06 pm »
I have had this piece for about thirty years and have never checked on its origin, time period or its value.
Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give.

It has a coat of arms with tree snails on a blue shield and a banner below that with 'WHITBY' set on yellow. On the under side of this piece is another shield with 'BEMMA' on it and a crown above this shield.

It has five fluted stems that come out of the top which have rippled edges that are edged in gold but some of the gold has been worn off.
The size is 3 1/2" wide X 2 3/8" high X 1 3/8" deep.

If the photo which I have included does not appear, I will ba happy to email other photos for any help possible.

Thanks...

This is a five-neck crested vase which has now been listed on ebay.
The marking on the bottom is not 'BEMMA'. It was a little obscured but the manufactures marking is 'GEMMA'.
It is from the early part of the last century.

soldsir

• View Profile
What is this antique?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 03:41:33 pm »
Whitby is a coastal town in the NE of England, famous for the origin of count Dracula and the best fish and chips in the world
The things are whales ear drums, it’s the towns crest
The piece is crested ware they were sold as souvenirs. There are a lot collectors and they do pay good money for the right ones and in perfect condition.
The name Goss on the bottom adds a few quid.