Author Topic: Antique Sterling silver and diamond ring  (Read 1229 times)

Jentheblonde22

• View Profile
Antique Sterling silver and diamond ring
« on: October 11, 2005, 02:43:24 am »
I have an Antique ring that I recieved as a gift.  It is stamped 925 for sterling silver and it also has one single diamond (not sure what size) in a strange oval cut set sideways in the center of the ring.  On each side of the diamond are three designs that look southwest or of mexican descent.  It is In very good condition, except that it is a little worn on some of the designs.  Along with the 925 stamp inside the ring are the makers initials NF (not connected) I have looked everywhere for who this might be and have seen several other peices that could possibly have come from the same person.  If anyone might know who this maker is I would appreciate the hint....and also with a fairly large, oddly cut, diamond I wonder if this ring might be of any value once the maker is discovered...Thanks for any input!  B)  

soldsir

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 12:19:00 pm »
It’s not a bad rule of thumb if it has not got a full set of marks it not English yours would appear not to have.
It is also unusual to see very good diamonds set in silver yours sound old and could have been remounted
Hope this helps

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 08:27:26 pm »
Although I often answer questions re: costume jewelry, not that I'm an expert, but that I have lots of it and love it, I still recommend:

When it comes to Carats and Karets you need a jeweler.  While not every jeweler is a Certified Gem Appraiser, she can be knowledgeable regarding the stone, and the setting.  And there are many gorgeous stones that are not diamonds - white topaz comes to mind and so does natural crystal -

Please look further and post back with the results, as all of us jewelry lovers are interested.  and ps:  Post pics?      Thanks and best wishes, KB

Jentheblonde22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 09:53:11 pm »
I am supposed to meet with a friend of mine's father next week who happens to be a jeweler....so hopefully I will find out a little more.....Also, I'll try and get some pictures up by the end of this week....Like I said...Its a very interesting ring...and I have never seen anything like it....I've worn it for about a year and never really thought anything of its value until now...I'll post back when I know more....and thanks for the advice!----Jen