Author Topic: Militaria,, Can not find this book,, Help !!  (Read 2458 times)

mart

• View Profile
Militaria,, Can not find this book,, Help !!
« on: May 28, 2018, 05:45:52 am »
https://www.kovels.com/discussions/vintage-book-drawings-thulstrup-etc.html

I can find references to it but not the book itself !!  Need a value on it !! Read the text to see why !!

Skinny

• View Profile
Re: Militaria,, Can not find this book,, Help !!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 12:14:41 pm »
I don't see an actual title page in any of those attachments. Without seeing the title page with the full title, author or authors, publisher and so on, finding comparable copys online is unlikely. It looks like a book about the Spainish American War? Lots of heavily illustrated (or with photograph) historys of the Spainish American War were made and lots of them are on the market. They don't tend to be worth tons of money, but there may be exceptions if the plates are particularly fine or done by a sought after artist

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 02:18:00 pm »
Ahh Ha !! you just looked at the pics without reading everything !!  It was published by E.R. Herrick,, New York !!  It is just a pictorial folio album !!  Some of the artists are well respected and sell well !!  Lest we Forget is,,as far as I can tell is the album name !!  But it says on the forward page it is from "Truth" but I can not find out what Truth is !!

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 02:50:20 pm »
There are only about thirty listings by that publisher on abebooks. No wonder this particular book isnt represented on there. Without comparables and without seeing it in person to judge condition and and check for any missing pages I should think it would be worth somewhere between $50 and $500. Even an appraisal by a professional for this book would likely be somewhat of a guess, unless they can find a few auction records for it that we can't . I still say seeing the title page would be useful,  because it will almost certainly have an extended title that could help you search more successfully. Sometimes there were more than one publishing establishment that would be producing books like this at the same time

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 03:02:06 pm »
For example, the full title could be something like:

LEST WE FORGET, Being an account of the recent conflict with Spain, compiled from the most reliable eye witness accounts of the battles at sea and on land, and of the hero's who brought about our ultimate victory. Illustrated with chromolithographs by the most emminent artists of the day

Ya know, something like that :o

Rauville

• View Profile

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 04:34:36 pm »
Looks like it Rauville. !
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 05:22:32 pm »
I looked on ebay and found nothing !!  How he does it I have no idea but sure wish I could !!  Thanks Rauville and everyone for helping !! 
Skinney I knew you did some militaria but didn`t know how to explain this one !!  The owners stepfathers son had the book appraised but refused to tell her what the appraisal was !!  He took it after her mother passed and she made him give it back !! 
If that gives you a hint !!

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 08:18:14 pm »
I'm just a book guy, that's my area. Book questions don't come along very often so I tried to really get into this one. I think my suggested range of possible valuation was accurate, but Rauville definitely gets all the points for finding an actual copy online

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 07:40:18 pm »
 Skinny,,,I think you are right too with value being at the lower end of that !!  I was guessing in the $100. to $200. range !!  Is that what you had in mind ??
I thought it was you that had posted some military stuff  !!  May have been mistaken !!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:57:01 pm by mart »

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 07:57:04 pm »
I can't remember what all I've posted over the years. I think i asked about my little miscellaneous piece of U.S Army horse tack a few years ago

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 08:46:14 am »
The lady that posted this album said she was happy with the $89.95 it sold for on ebay !! When she got it there was a note inside that her late mother had bought it at a garage sale for $.25 !!  So it was a pretty good quarter investment !!