Author Topic: Japanese Eggs  (Read 2904 times)

janet2522

• View Profile
Japanese Eggs
« on: June 13, 2018, 01:33:51 pm »
Hello,

These two Japanese Eggs were received for a fundraiser for our church.  Could you tell me what they are worth, and if anyone wants to buy them.  There are no markings on them; one looks like a base might have been attached. 

Thank you.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:44:59 pm »
Hi Janet2522!

Can you please give a bit more information.  What are the sizes of the eggs?  Are there any signatures on them?  How do you know they are Japanese?  Who donated them?

Hopefully someone can help out with your values.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 07:06:52 pm »
Janet2522 if you could please make the pics a little larger we could enlarge them to see detail !!  About 1000KB would be good !!

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:31:34 pm »
Janet,

It's difficult to tell the size of your egg(s) from the photo, but I'll take a guess and say that it is perhaps 4-1/2 inches tall.  And, if I understand correctly, there are no markings or signatures on the bottom of either item. 

I cannot really see the details in your photos.  But, from what I can see, they appear to be vintage Japanese Satsuma hand-painted porcelain eggs.  Here is a listing on Ebay of an item similiar if not exact to one of your eggs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Satsuma-Hand-Painted-Porcelain-Egg-Gold-Gilted-Oriental-Geisha-Scene/272981908168?hash=item3f8efd5ac8:g:C7YAAOSw2xRYTftp

In general this size and type of item sold from $9-$20 online during the last year.

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 01:39:17 am »
Hi, these eggs are not Japanese but Chinese trying to imitate Japanese style. They are not antique...

janet2522

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 09:55:31 am »
The larger egg is 11.5 inches tall and has a circumference of 27 inches.
The smaller egg is about 10.5 inches tall and has a circumference of 25 inches.

Thank you for your responses. I have tried to post more picture details but I think that I have my answer. They are Chinese replicas of Japanese eggs according to Matt. Thank you all.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 09:58:15 am »
From what I see, I agree with Mat!

Best of luck on the fundraiser!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 09:36:17 pm »
Hi, these eggs are not Japanese but Chinese trying to imitate Japanese style. They are not antique...

Hi Mat,

Thanks for saving me here.  Would you please tell me how you know they are Chinese imitations of Japanese style?  I'm not questioning you, but trying to learn something here.  I've read that not all Japanese Satsuma is marked and that the Chinese imitations usually say "Made in China". 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:40:45 pm by SophieMarie »

janet2522

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 10:16:36 am »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 08:04:01 pm »

Hi Mat,

Thanks for saving me here.  Would you please tell me how you know they are Chinese imitations of Japanese style?  I'm not questioning you, but trying to learn something here.  I've read that not all Japanese Satsuma is marked and that the Chinese imitations usually say "Made in China".

Me too !!

janet2522

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 05:06:31 pm »
I sold them today for $10.00 a piece and I sent all of your comments to her. Thank you all so much!!! I love this site!

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 03:07:30 am »
Sorry for answering so late. The first reason why I believe these eggs to be Chinese is that I have not seen a genuine Japanese Satsuma egg so far. Maybe Satsuma eggs are in fact a Chinese invention? Besides that, the details of the decoration and the enamels used are all wrong for Japanese Satsuma, but often seen on Chinese pieces. Not all of the Chinese ones are marked, and some bear even fake Japanese marks on them...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:09:02 am by Mat »

janet2522

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 08:00:31 am »
Thank you. I will pass all your comments on.

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 12:14:20 am »
Sorry for answering so late. The first reason why I believe these eggs to be Chinese is that I have not seen a genuine Japanese Satsuma egg so far. Maybe Satsuma eggs are in fact a Chinese invention? Besides that, the details of the decoration and the enamels used are all wrong for Japanese Satsuma, but often seen on Chinese pieces. Not all of the Chinese ones are marked, and some bear even fake Japanese marks on them...

Mat,

Thank you!  I appreciate your comments.