Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 2232 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
What is it?
« on: August 12, 2018, 09:47:42 am »
This is hanging on the wall at Cracker Barrel in Asheville NC. For the life of me, I can't figure it out. The servers don't know either. I figured you guys would probably post the answer before we got to the parking lot. Ready... Set... GO!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:50:52 am »
The photo posted sideways.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 02:24:44 pm »
Can`t tell what the gears and the handle actually do !!  I pass !!  Where is Rauville and Cogar ??  They know all these obscure items !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 04:18:56 pm »
I would guess that someone took a wooden "Fanning Mill" apart, and finished one side for a decorative wall-hanging.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 07:47:52 pm »
Wow Rauville...you are good!!!!

Nice to see you on here Talesofthesevenseas .  How is the home place coming along?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 06:05:51 am »
Nice article on fanning mills for people like me who had no idea what they were:

http://www.crookedlakereview.com/articles/101_135/126winter2003/126palmer3.html

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 12:28:02 pm »
Nice article on fanning mills for people like me who had no idea what they were:

http://www.crookedlakereview.com/articles/101_135/126winter2003/126palmer3.html

PeLady

Thanks Pelady, I enjoyed that cited article, ……. especially this statement, to wit:

Before the introduction of threshing machines, grain was removed from the stalk heads by trampling or flailing. This operation was done usually on a wooden floor in a barn.”

That triggered the recall of an unanswered  “curiosity” question that I have harbored for 45+ years and provided an answer to said.

It was in the mid-1970’s that I and 3 others (wife, brother and his wife) were afforded the opportunity of a “private tour” of Kamp Kill Kare near Raquette Lake in the Adirondacks, upstate NY. That was when it belonged to the Garvin heirs and nothing had been moved or changed since Mrs. Garvin had died.

Anyway, when we entered the “kamp” we had to drive thru the “barn complex portal” which is pictured below. Anyway, anyway, when we were “touring” the barn complex, the loft or 2nd floor above the “portal” was just a large square room with a perfectly smooth wood floor that resembled a finely polished table top.

Now know the purpose of that loft.

And ps, the stones you see in the picture are just a “veneer” covering up the wood construction.

To wit:

After the three-mile drive in, we arrived at the tower gate shown above. Little did I know that the gable window of my memory was but a small detail of a barn complex that enclosed a large yard.  The cow barn formed a leg, and the horse barn, without its roof due to a fire, another, and the third leg was the service wing.”  Source:  https://www.aarch.org/got-lake-kora/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 04:42:25 pm »
Well I had no clue what it was !!

Cogar that is a great old mill/barn !!  Wish I had some of those old floor boards !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 10:11:40 pm »
I wish I had those rock walls, etc.  NICE!!!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 05:34:50 am »
The above picture is of the ”outside” right-hand corner of the “barn complex”, which consisted of a “center” section (extending to the left of the above pictured portal), with 2 “wings” extending from the ends of the “center” section ….. with a center, per se, “courtyard” of 50 yards by 50 yards square, with a milking “parlor” at the end of the left “wing” and a large blacksmith shop at the end of the right “wing”

And there was no “old barn boards” in that complex because every visible piece of wood was “sanded n’ polished”.  Even the inside and outside of the 16 or so horse stalls.

And that barn is just one (1) of 26 or 27 buildings on the property.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 08:39:33 am »
You are awesome Rauville! I had no idea that it was just the side of the mill and not the entire thing! I was thinking that it folded down into an ironing board or something! Thank-you very much for solving our breakfast discussion. We learned something at Cracker Barrel!  ;D