Author Topic: Buffet doors with faces  (Read 2589 times)

icedgold10

• View Profile
Buffet doors with faces
« on: February 15, 2019, 12:07:08 pm »
Got these two doors at an estate sale today  can someone tell me more about them? Type of wood,  age, origin? Any ideas on value? I just thought they were so cool, had to get them The face are is 12' x 14". Then the rest of the door.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Buffet doors with faces
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 02:46:56 pm »
They'e cool alright. Looks like a depiction of the mythological Green Man, usually shown surrounded by foliage. Oak, Renaissance Revival era, probably 1890s-1910s.

Dollar value will be minimal, because the doors are detached from the original furniture, and even if they weren't, "brown" furniture is at a low ebb anyway.

The actual value will be whatever you paid. I wouldn't look to make any money on resale.

Enjoy!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 04:37:38 pm »
The buffet it was in wasn't very attractive  and wouldn't fit in my car. So 8 made an offer for the doors and hardware.  Looking around a lot of people are repurposing.  Using them on other cabinets and as wall decor. I might put a darker stain on. Not sure what I will use them in yet.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 06:24:52 pm »
I don't know if they sell, but folks aren't afraid to put a price on them. :o
http://antiqueauctionsnow.net/search/carved-oak-door-panel

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 07:54:54 pm »
I've seen whole buffets sell for the same prices.  Crazy!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 10:54:51 pm »
Green Man! 

Unfortunately I have seen the doors removed and re-used for the past few years from sideboards, hunting cabinets, etc.  On the other hand, I am glad they are being used if the cabinet was to be destroyed.  Most of these cabinets were handmade and very large - because they are so large is the reason so many aren't keeping them intact.  The door-less cabinets have become popular for use as display pieces in stores and antique malls!

Beautiful pieces!  Did you get a picture of the cabinet before the doors were removed?  (I always encourage that even if the full piece wasn't retained.)  That would really help with determining the type of cabinet and origin.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 02:41:19 am »
I didn't take a picture  of it. You should have seen the pieces in this house though.  Amazing carved wood.  This buffet was plain except for the doors.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 11:18:00 am »
The seam at the top looks like these  are partially appliques !  Ghopper is right,, you can usually buy this type furniture cheap !!  The carvings and style do not blend with todays furniture styles or homes !!  Most are being repurposed !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 11:52:43 am »
The piece looks English to me (without seeing the full cabinet.)

I enlarged the piece and it does look more like an applique by the thin-line cracking you can see in the top of the face but not on the back ground.

Keep the piece nourished and it should outlast all of us.

I am sooooo envious of sales like the one you got this at.  I still LOVE brown furniture!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 08:16:41 pm »
The faces are the same on both doors but not identical.  I can't see any gaps indicating applique but could just be well done. Well worth the drive to New Hampshire to see the beautiful house.