Author Topic: Karpen Wicker Chair  (Read 844 times)

Drupnow

• View Profile
Karpen Wicker Chair
« on: July 28, 2019, 12:55:33 pm »
Hi,
I just picked up a wicker chair, which is in excellent condition. When I got it home, I noticed a metal tag underneath that says Karpen Furniture. I did a google search and learned some things, but I couldn't find anything about this type of chair in particular. The person I got it from thought it was about 75 years old. Any info you could provide would be helpful.
Thank you!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Karpen Wicker Chair
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:51:03 am »
The Karpens were Polish 19th century immigrants who started out making highly ornate Renaissance/Rococo Revival furniture, particularly chairs and parlor sets, then simplified their designs as fashion dictated and the 20th century progressed.

I can't recall seeing any wicker furniture of theirs, but obviously you've got a wicker chair with their tag on it so.......cool! I'd say 75 years sounds about right, just looking at the styling. The company continued for a long time, but without looking it up I think they went out of business sometime in the mid 20th century, so you've got a later piece.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
Re: Karpen Wicker Chair
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 12:32:49 pm »
https://www.google.com/search?q=Karpen+wicker+furniture&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Several examplles here but,, furniture depends on the style of the times !!    My best guess would be as Ghopper said around mid century !!  1940 to the closing of the company in 1951 !!