Author Topic: Another Stumper Item  (Read 997 times)

stim

• View Profile
Another Stumper Item
« on: April 13, 2020, 12:17:04 pm »
Heavy duty scoop of some sort- someone suggested 'coal'. My first impression was 'clams'.
13" wide basket. You can guesstimate the rest it's not at hand to measure.
Good luck!

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Another Stumper Item
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 12:45:52 pm »
Well, surely not for coal, ….. handle is not strong enough and they are too wide for dumping the coal out.

And not for clams because holes are too small to allow sand and debris to fall out.

But seeing your fishing poles in the picture I would hafta say they are “minnow” or “shrimp” scoops that are used in bait shops. Scoop up the bait out of a “holding” tank, the water drains out and the bait is placed in a small container. 

But remember, that was strictly a guess.  ;)

OOPS, …… on 2nd thought, …… I remembered that bait shops use a long handled "mini-net" that is only 4 or 5 inches in diameter,…… so, ….. those might be bait scoops used by "delivery person" for transferring the live bait from the truck to the tanks in the bait shop. 

So that they can "scoop" up a whole bunch of bait at a time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 01:05:22 pm by cogar »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 12:50:02 pm »
OH, …… and welcome to the forum, stem, …… since I don't recall seeing your name before now.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 07:17:54 pm »
I agree with Cogar !!  Each scoop is measured by the approx weight of the minnows or bait of any kind !!  We used to fish a lot,, now its just me and in our own ponds !!  But when we bought minnows they used a smaller net and more or less guessed at it because they sold by the dozen but they knew about many the net held !!  Only  wholesalers used the  larger nets/dippers like yours !!  They could deliver a few thousand in minutesif say,, each net or scoop held approx 500 minnows !!  They always measured over due to loss !!  A few die each day even in perfect conditions !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 04:41:18 am »
I'm going to sign up for this forum to get more insights.

If possible, post pictures and dimensions of your items in question cause the members here-on luv to tout their knowledge of collectibles as well as learn things they didn't know.

So "post away", ….. someone usually knows something, …… if nothing more than a good guess.  :D